Another youtube fishermen rant

Spurhunter

I've been fishing almost 50 years and did quite well on the local tournament circuits I fished seriously for 3 or 4 years before I got burned out. I've never back reeled a spinning reel or thumb dragged (or whatever you call it) a baitcaster. I use quality line, set my drag properly, re-tie my knot as needed, change line on my reels as needed, and I don't horse a big fish straight to the boat. I've never seen the need for these tactics. If I didn't trust the drag on my reels I would throw them away and buy something else.

mike243

The days of level wind bait casters where the handle fly's around when you cast are gone, thank God lol, thumb ever slipped while casting and rat nests from heck happen. I trust the drag and might have to adjust 1 time after hookup but that's it. use what works for ya

sll

If I didn't trust the drag on my reels I would throw them away and buy something else.
It has nothing to do with the equipment......my gear is top-shelf stuff. It is preference. I want to control tension how and when I want to......I want it tight when I want it and loose when I need it. All in the same landing time of a bigger fish and never having to adjust the drag mid-stream of a catch. I have seen a lot of people get their feelings hurt relying on a drag trying to net a 4-6 pound walleye beside the boat when it first gets a good look at it and takes its initial surge. It is very seldom that I ever break my line, and I use mono exclusively, but if I do it is during a hookset and never during the landing process. Different strokes for different folks.

Urban_Hunter

I've been fishing almost 50 years and did quite well on the local tournament circuits I fished seriously for 3 or 4 years before I got burned out. I've never back reeled a spinning reel or thumb dragged (or whatever you call it) a baitcaster. I use quality line, set my drag properly, re-tie my knot as needed, change line on my reels as needed, and I don't horse a big fish straight to the boat. I've never seen the need for these tactics. If I didn't trust the drag on my reels I would throw them away and buy something else.
Guess I'm with you. I tournament fished about 5 years all over the state, lots of kentucky, Alabama, and Georgia. I've fished with lots of guys that have done it much longer than I and lots that still fish competitively. I can't recall a single one messing with drag while a fish was on outside of a rare, quick adjustment. Never seen or heard of anyone releasing drag for storage either. Seems like that opens up the potential to set the hook with no drag after a quick change. Also had my reels apart many times, I don't even understand the concept of damaging drag washers by leaving them set during storage?

Pilchard

Drag assembly on high-end spinning reels used to have cork washers that would compress. I am unsure if this is still the case as I haven't bought a new spinning reel in a while.

I really can't wrap my head around back reeling…. This might work for a fish that can't swim very fast but you'd have some busted knuckles and a lost fish even with most trash fish in saltwater.

Spurhunter

I have seen a lot of people get their feelings hurt relying on a drag trying to net a 4-6 pound walleye beside the boat when it first gets a good look at it and takes its initial surge.
I've never fished for walleye. When I commented I assumed this thread was about bass, but after reading the original post again he just said "fish".

WTM

Drag assembly on high-end spinning reels used to have cork washers that would compress. I am unsure if this is still the case as I haven't bought a new spinning reel in a while.

I really can't wrap my head around back reeling…. This might work for a fish that can't swim very fast but you'd have some busted knuckles and a lost fish even with most trash fish in saltwater.

the better reels will be carbon comp now. id like to see someone compress one, lol. some of the older baitcasters used bakelite, which is another hard substance.

Latest posts