Another fatality

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
My son called me that afternoon and said he saw the rescue squad and twra headed towards the lake.
So sad.

Sad news this morning from the TWRA:

BOATING FATALITY ON KENTUCKY LAKE

DOVER, Tenn. --- A 30-year-old Joelton man lost his life when a 14-foot aluminum boat capsized on Monday, November 6, 2023, on Kentucky Lake in Stewart County.

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency officers responded to a capsized boat in the Ginger Bay area of Kentucky Lake at approximately 3 PM on November 6. Three occupants of the boat made it to shore and one boater was missing. The Stewart County EMS, Stewart County Sheriff Office, Stewart County Fire Rescue, Henry County Rescue Squad and TWRA searched for the missing boater.

The body of Richard A. Robinett was recovered on November 7 by divers. He was not wearing a lifejacket. The incident is under investigation and is the 25th fatal boating incident in Tennessee this year.

Smells Like Sulfur

I always fish in the open ocean or on quiet lakes and streams.

Seriously though, if you're too "man" enough to wear a life jacket, then at least get one of those pods where you pull the string and inflates.

They even come in belts now so you don't look like you're wearing a jacket. Is your life worth $100?
Screenshot_20231108-172601_Chrome.jpg

Smells Like Sulfur

the bad thing about those manual ones is in a cold water immersion scenario, youll probably not be able to pull the inflatable. a lot of folks usually immediately go into cardiac arrest when they hit the water.
And on top of that, a lot of the fatalities don't come from the fact that the person couldn't swim, they were knocked unconscious into the water, definitely couldn't pull a string then either.

Maybe incorporating some type of impact/water sensor could help.

If I had a nickel for every time I was knocked off of a boat by a boom when some idiot doesn't yell "tacking" , I could probably buy a candy bar. Fortunately, I was never hit in the head and knocked unconscious, but I did always wear a life jacket. There was one time I was hit so hard that there is no way I would have been able to consciously pull that string though, I was completely confused, and had no idea why I was in the water.

I would argue that it's still better than nothing though.

BigCityBubba

I have heard horror stories .i really prefer small
Lakes nested in between hills. Like Tims Ford or Normandy. Woods reservoir is too open for my liking.
I love Ky Lake but there has been many a trip in the spring where we did not leave the cove we launched in because of the wind and waves on the main lake especially when in an aluminum bass boat. You need a heavy fiberglass boat certain times of the year if you want to be able to run up the lake.

TN Larry

I've fished all my life and never fell out of the boat until this week. I dropped a rod in and reached too far for it and fell in head first. I will gladly pay the $25 to rearm my inflatable. I got one for my son and I last year to wear mainly for the winter time but found myself wearing it most of the year when out.

I did get the rod back though. :)

C3932FBD-D7E2-4477-B428-5C221F671B6E.jpeg

Last edited:

Bucket

I've fished all my life and never fell out of the boat until this week. I dropped a rod in and reached too far for it and fell in head first. I will gladly pay the $25 to rearm my inflatable. I got one for my son and I last year to wear mainly for the winter time but found myself wearing it most of the year when out.

I did get the rod back though. :)
Wow! Be careful bud!

Lt.Dan

I have found I am wearing my PFD every time I go out in my little jon boat. I fish below Chickamauga Dam mostly, not up near the dam. That's a little to hairy for me. I keep below the railroad bridge. Still feel safer wearing the vest because the current is strong. It's a small price to pay should something bad happen. I remember one time on Oneida Lake up north, I was in the same size jon boat. I was sitting on my life jacket. The wife and I got out past the break wall and suddenly found ourselves in 4 footers. It took me what felt like a half hour to get the boat turned around and behind the break wall. I ordered my wife to put her life jacket on, but didn't dare try and raise up enough to get mine from under me and on. I will say that was one of the scariest times in my life. I feel sorry for that man's family and for him.

FLTENNHUNTER1

I wear mine from dock to dock. Put it on as soon as I get out of the truck and take it off when boat is trailered and out of water. Several times have slipped on wet dock getting in and out of boat.

Latest posts