Left handed crappie fishermen….

redblood

I was thinking you had to be left handed to catch crappie, as i noticed virtually ever crappie video host holding spinning rods with their left hand. Then realized they must just like fishing that way. Im a righty snd have always used my dominant hand to hold spinning rods (all i use). So which way do you go and why?

TNReb

I'm right-handed. Rod in left hand, reel with the right... same way whether it's a spinning reel or baitcaster.

When I'm pitching, I keep the rod in my left hand. When I'm making an actual cast, I use my right hand. I've usually got the rod back in my left hand by the time the lure hits the water.

Just the way I learned to fish with the old school Zebco and it's the only thing that feels natural to me.

rsimms

As long as you don't hold it like this, you're good.

fishing-funny.gif

Spurhunter

I'm all screwed up. I'm right handed. I write, eat, shoot pool, shoot a gun, shoot a bow, and do most things righty. But I throw, kick, bat, and play golf lefty. I hold a jig pole, spinning rod or scoping pole in my left and reel with my right. I cast a baitcaster with my left and reel with my right. That always worked out great bass fishing because typically the other guy in the boat casts right handed so we don't interfere with each other if we are fishing down a bank.

Spurhunter

In the words of my son's HS baseball coach, I'm amphibious. I use whichever hand the handle is on to reel and cast with the other.
My old tournament fishing partner was so competitive that he decided he could get in a few extra casts a day if he didn't have to change hands to reel like so many people do. He casted right handed so he bought all left handed reels and worked at it until reeling with his left hand was second nature.

bowhunterfanatic

My old tournament fishing partner was so competitive that he decided he could get in a few extra casts a day if he didn't have to change hands to reel like so many people do. He casted right handed so he bought all left handed reels and worked at it until reeling with his left hand was second nature.
That's my kinda dude right there!

woodsman04

I write, eat, wipe, left handed. I throw, shoot, punch kick, right handed.
Bait caster cast left handed and reel in with my right hand reeling
Jig pole/spinning rods I cast with rod in my left hand and reel with my right, same as above. All of my spinning reels have the handle on the right. When I take people fishing they move the handle to the left

When I am jigging with long poles the rod is in my left hand. But if needed in certain circumstances I can jig with my right arm too. I can shoot guns both handed. Only write left handed though

Im more "amphibious" than not.

redblood

I write, eat, wipe, left handed. I throw, shoot, punch kick, right handed.
Bait caster cast left handed and reel in with my right hand reeling
Jig pole/spinning rods I cast with rod in my left hand and reel with my right, same as above. All of my spinning reels have the handle on the right. When I take people fishing they move the handle to the left

When I am jigging with long poles the rod is in my left hand. But if needed in certain circumstances I can jig with my right arm too. I can shoot guns both handed. Only write left handed though

Im more "amphibious" than not.
I never use baitcasters anymore unless im in saltwater. But i cast the baitcaster with my right hand, then hold rod it with my left and reel it with my right. Odd how everyone is so different on this this topic

Urban_Hunter

This is what I have done. Otherwise I'm useless with my left hand

Latest posts