Ammo Question - 180 gr vs 150 grain Winchester PowerPoints

dewclaw

Been shooting 180 grain Winchester PowerPoints through my .300 Win Mag BAR Browning for the past 20 + years. With ammo scarcity, I have only located 4 boxes of these bullets in the past year and a half. Apparently 150 grain Winchester PowerPoints are much more readily available.

Before I make a switch (which I really do not want to do), does anyone have any idea about: 1) How much my POI will change with 150 grain PowerPoints vs 180 grain (I assume it will go up slightly???), and 2) effect of 150 grain PowerPoints on whitetail deer (knockdown, blood trails, etc. Thanks for any input you can provide!

Rakkin6

I have a .300 Win Mag also, personally I don't like shooting deer with the 150 grain. They tend to blow up on deer sized game. I shoot either 180 on deer. I would rather move up to 200 than drop down to 150. Just my experience with them. Now 150 might be great out at distance though say 250 or farther but I have never had to shoot a deer that far. But inside 150 yards 180 grain all the way.

casjoker

There are several 300 win mag 150gr bullets designed for deer hunting but the only way to know the change in POI is to test them. Federal (non-typical), Remington (CoreLokt), and Winchester (deer season xp) are all manufactured in 150gr have decent ratings on the web.

tnanh

In my opinion, 150 in a 30 caliber bullet will perform well. I have always had better results on animals with a 308 or 30-06 with 150s if they shoot well. I read an article Jack Oconnor wrote years ago and he was for shooting mid range to lighter mid range bullet weights at Whitetail deer in every caliber. I think he said the shoulders on the heavier bullets didnt perform as well. I have always preferred 150 in mine but I know nothing about Magnum calibers.

utvolsfan77

Why not just split the difference and go with 165-grain rounds, especially if you are hand loading?

I don't have a .300 Win magnum, but I do have and shoot several .308 and .30-06 rifles. All of them are hunting rifles rather than target guns, and I've stayed away from the high-end ammo. I've shot 150, 165, and 180 grain factory rounds in all of them, mainly Winchester Power Point, Federal Power Shok, or Remington Core Lokt. And while point of impact (POI) usually shifts a little when changing bullet weights, they group consistently enough in all of my rifles that unless I'm anticipating shots beyond 200 yards, I will not even adjust my scopes because they still impact near one MOD (minute of deer).

Last edited:

Omega

I actually prefer 130 grain in both my 270 and 308, but have been using 150s for the past few seasons because that was what I had zeroed the rifles with. Most of the deer didn't know the difference, most were DRT, when I did my part, and went less than 100 when I didn't. Whitetails are easy to kill, it is just us that complicate things.

mike243

I shoot 150g corelocks in mine and had great luck with them, pass through most of the time, I shot some 165g BT but didn't notice better performance at the distance I normally shoot. Grandson shot 1 during the last juvy hunt at 200y or more, 2" in and 3" out through the ribs. Only reason I would shoot heavier bullets is if going elk/bear/ bigger critters.

east_tn_gk

I'm going to agree with the majority here. 150 or 180 grain will kill deer just as dead. I shoot 150 grain through a 30-06 & 180's through a 350 Legend, the deer don't know the difference. The only question would be such a high power cartridge and bullet stability. To know that answer, you'll just have to shoot and see how they group.

DC219

I've been hand loading for 30 years; starting with a 300 Winchester. The 150's will shoot a little flatter out to 300 yards or so. The 180's will hold velocity/energy and buck wind better at extreme ranges. If the 150's shoot well in your gun, they'll work great. Like others have said, whitetails are easy to kill if you hit them well. For me, it would totally boil down to accuracy. Now, if you hand load, or know someone who does and your gun will shoot them accurately, you might want to experiment with 130 grain Barnes. Those would make a flat shooting bolt of lightning to 350 yards or so out of a 300 Win Mag.

TNPete1

To get some initial raw data, google "winchester ballistics". Their site will allow you to put all your info in and see results. Bullet weight on whitetails is controversial at best. I shot 130gr powerpoints for over 20yrs and recovered every deer I shot. Three words: accuracy, accuracy, accuracy. For the last 6yrs, I've been shooting a 55gr bullet chambered in .223. My rifle shoots sub MOA at 100yds. Find a cartridge that pairs well with your rifle/sccope set up and you'll kill them every time. Good luck!

backyardtndeer

If you change to the 150's or anything else, be sure to check on paper. Even same weight bullets from different manufacturers can have different poi. A lot of good choices in .30 caliber bullets. You may find 165's. I don't own a win mag, so cannot speak to the performance of the lighter bullets on deer. I use handloaded 178 eldx out of my 308's, and they have dropped everything I have shot with them in their tracks.

skipperbrown

Plan on shooting a couple of boxes getting your new 100 yd zero, 200 yd zero, 300 yd zero, etc. A ballistic app will help you with the drop at range. 300 win is an expensive round to shoot with about 70 grains of powder in each round (that's 100 rounds per lb.).

BSK

Every gun is unique and tends to like something different. Go with the weight bullet that shoots the best group out of your gun. I shoot a lefty .308 and started with 150 grn Remington Core-Lokts. They produced an OK group but not a great group. I also had problems with the bullets going to pieces when hitting deer. I tried out the 180 grn Core-Lokts and not only did they produce a much tighter group, they expanded properly while holding together and punched through deer. I'm sold on the 180 grn bullets for that gun. However, felt recoil did increase noticeably.

Lost Lake

The only way to know how your rifle will shoot the 150's is to try them. Not what you wanted to hear I'm sure.

In a high velocity cartridge like the 300 WM, I'd be leery of taking close shots with those 150's. Maybe on out there at some distance they'll hold together fine, but I'd check the recommended velocity impact window of that bullet first.

In a 30/06, .308, and so on where velocities are held to under 3,000 fps I'm sure most cup and core 150's hold together better.

In the 300 WM I'd stick with 180's minimum, or move to monometal.

dewclaw

Thanks for all the replies. Note that I'm not wanting to change, however availability of bullets (or lack thereof!) is making me consider my options. Guess I have a few months to see if things loosen up a bit, and I probably have enough ammo for a season or two, but just wanted to learn from your experiences. Thanks again!

farm208

When you change bullet size you change your bullet Point of impact. Dont be sorry when you dont retrieve your game from a misplaced shot. Shoot till you are certain your rifle hits where you aim. 300 win mags perform very well with slow burning powders with 180 and above and mid weight 150s with mid burn rate charges of powder. Bigger the game use heavier bullets. Deer are thin skinned and don't take much to kill. But if it goes in a non vital area you can kiss your deer goodbye. Hit the vitals and you'll be happy with your trophy.

Latest posts