Amazing Animals

SJS

So, my oldest son took this 130+ 10 pointer on Monday. It was walking on three legs as its right front leg was broke and it was just dangling. Funny thing is we have been seeing this deer out in various hay fields for two years with the broken leg. Funny we never have gotten any trail camera pics of him. How is it possible for this deer, which is at least 5.5 years old from observations we've had of him, to be able to survive and maintain weight and antler size while dragging around a broken leg? Truly amazing!

Attachments

• IMG_7644.jpg
    IMG_7644.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 175

backyardtndeer

We had a little funky buck here that had a curled up hoof on his front left side, almost like the tendons were contracted, and his shoulder was not right. No idea what had caused the injury, but he was having a lot of trouble getting around. I figured he was yote bait and considered a mercy killing, but just watched him whenever I see him. Ended up seeing him several times in the 2020 season. In 2021 he was back and still putting no weight on that front leg. He was around most of the season and into late December. His antlers didn't change much but his body was slightly bigger. I have kind of expected for him to show up this year, but he hasn't yet. They can be tough for sure.

Nice buck. Congratulations to your son.

BSK

We had a little funky buck here that had a curled up hoof on his front left side, almost like the tendons were contracted, and his shoulder was not right. No idea what had caused the injury, but he was having a lot of trouble getting around. I figured he was yote bait and considered a mercy killing, but just watched him whenever I see him. Ended up seeing him several times in the 2020 season. In 2021 he was back and still putting no weight on that front leg. He was around most of the season and into late December. His antlers didn't change much but his body was slightly bigger. I have kind of expected for him to show up this year, but he hasn't yet. They can be tough for sure.
On the farm I grew up on in rural Warren County, KY, in our yard one day I saw a doe that apparently had been hit by a car. Her hips were smashed and her back legs stuck out at weird angles which caused her to slowly waddle with her back-end low to the ground. I seriously considered a mercy killing. But deciding to let nature take her course, I was surprised to keep seeing her waddling around the yard. One year turned into two and three and so on. That doe lived for years until she caught a back foot trying to jump a fence and died. And the funny thing was, she produced twin fawns every year. Guess she couldn't get away from the bucks very well! Deer are incredibly tough animals.

SES

Animals don't know that they are going to die, but their will to live is unbelievable. Millennials get a hang mail these days and want to lay down and die.

rem270

My nephew shot a really nice 8 point on the ky juvi and unfortunately we did not recover it. 2 weeks later I got pics of him and could tell the leg was broke but luckily just lodged into the one leg/shoulder. I seen him one morning while bow hunting and was running as fast as a 3 legged deer could. My dad had pushed him out of his bedding area. I seen him again last Tuesday locked down with a doe so he's still doing what deer do. I really studied him and I think he will survive no problem but will just have a broke leg the rest of his life. My nephew got to go hunting again this past Sunday and I was really hoping for redemption on that buck because it's a heck of a deer for a 9 year old and I'd just like to see him get it. Him and my dad were hunting in a shooting house west of where he usually beds and I was northeast of the bedding area about 250-300 yards from them. Right at dark he walked by me at 20 yards. Really wish he'd went the other way towards them.

Nice buck and congrats to your son.

Latest posts