Amazing Mineral Lick Idea!!!!1

turf08

I was at the local co-op this morning talking with an old hunter when the mineral lick subject came up. He told me if I wanted an amazing lick to do the following. Find a tree with a limb low enough you can reach. Underneath pour a bag of red mineral salt, this is to speed the process up. On the branch tie a milk crate up on both ends. Inside the crate place a mineral block and let it go. Instead of it spreading out all at once, it gradually drips down as it rains on it. Doing this will allows the lick to last longer and not go so deep into the ground before the deer can get to it.

Os2 Outdoors

Not a bad idea. I do rig up ways to keep my trophy rocks from dissolving away so quickly.

landman

sounds interesting, but its going to take a big limb to hold it all

One of my best sites has turned into a mineral lick and licking branches for the deer, but the limbs would never hold that much weight

KPH

Snake":36a9wh3a said:
I use toe sacks the same way , they distribute the salt slower making replenish time less . Toe sacks are hard to come by though .Thanks for the tip
Where would you find a toe sack in this day and time?

Os2 Outdoors

Vermin93":2xojqc8d said:
Os2 Outdoors":2xojqc8d said:
Not a bad idea. I do rig up ways to keep my trophy rocks from dissolving away so quickly.

Sounds interesting. How do you accomplish this?
1/2 rebar with a T welded on it. Drill a hole in trophy rock in about 3 inches drive rebar in the soil an set trophy rock on it so the rock is a few inches off the ground.

Diehard Hunter

Take an old pair of blue jeans, tie off the legs, fill both legs with salt then hang the jeans by the waist from a tree limb. Every time it rains salt will drip onto the ground. It will last a long time.

plinker22

Diehard Hunter":1my1gla9 said:
Take an old pair of blue jeans, tie off the legs, fill both legs with salt then hang the jeans by the waist from a tree limb. Every time it rains salt will drip onto the ground. It will last a long time.

I have seen this and considered doing it myself. Have never actually tried it.

RH

Used to do this on an old hunting club to lessen the chances of others finding my spots. I wrapped the salt rock in chicken wire instead of using a milk crate.

AllOutdoors

The best lick I have is an old hollowed out tree. I place a trace mineral block on to and it runs through to a hollow opening at the bottom. The stump is around 7 ft high but it works great. It must work as the kids get a shot at each year.

Latest posts