Alright I'll ask the Newbie question

Bone Collector

Not really a newbie to turkey hunting, but deer hunting is my first passion.

I have seen two posts on here where someone stated if the "polished" their barrel it would pattern better.

Are you using 0000 steel wool, or are you using something else, or a solvent of some sort? Does it actually make your gun pattern better?

fredfred

Greg M said:
I'm calling shennanigan's. period. end of story.

Barrels are already polished to between 1000-1200 grit.

Says the guy who's obviously never polished a barrel. :whistle:

It makes a big difference in almost any gun except chrome barrels, don't polish a chrome barrel. I polished 2 today. Tested 1 of them, an 870 super mag. It wasn't fit for Turkey hunting and the guy was asking to borrow a gun because it patterned so bad. I ask if I could try to fix it. 1 1/2 hrs later it went 215 in the 10 with Long Beard 6's out of a Mad Max tube. He said it had never shot anywhere close to that good.

TNDeerGuy

Rockhound said:

That exactly the method, and materials I used, it made a significant enough difference that I recommend anyone using it�except those with chrome barrels. My pellet count at 40yds went up 20% and the pattern was full and had no holes in it, so I'm shenanigans on the calling of shenanigans. :)

Grizzly Johnson

Go through the barrel to the choke.... you don't want to "polish" the choke.... I use an IMP CYL choke when I go throught the process.

As for the double end "shell".... May be more of knowing when you are pulled all the way back to where it bumps against the brass... I just use the 12ga hull.... my pad will either start to back the hull out or go up inside the empty hull.... either way, I know when I need to move forward again.

Slow steady strokes.... never let the brush/pad assembly spin in one spot very long, if at all.

Latest posts