Think I'll call it good.

CHRIS WILSON

I was finally able to get out this morning to do some pattern testing and check the zero on the red dot. Took two different Carlson's chokes this morning for the Mossberg 20 gauge...a non-ported .565 and a .568 Long Beard XR. Started shooting Federal #9 TSS last season using an Indian Creek .562. It patterned ok but felt it was a bit patchy so I wanted to try something different. The load is Federal, 1 1/2 oz, #9 TSS. Started out with the .565 and was a bit disappointed. It kind of reminded me of how the Indian Creek .562 patterned....more open than expected and a touch patchy. Gave the barrel a quick cleaning and switched to the .568 Longbeard. That .568 seems to be the ticket. Pattern appears to be much more even and more dense. Made a tweak to red dot and shot one more pattern to confirm. Think I'm going to call it good for the season opener in two weeks.

The longbeard XR pattern is on the left......565 is on the right. Distance was 40 yards.
20240330_115650.jpg

CHRIS WILSON

Im running same set up and averaging 250 with the federals and 300ish with apex 15/8
That's a decent bump in pellet count with the Apex. I might try a different load next season. Still have nine of the Federal to hunt and pattern with. I'm curious to see what a 1 5/8 load like Apex, Verdict or Rogue will pattern out of my setup.

knightrider

That's a decent bump in pellet count with the Apex. I might try a different load next season. Still have nine of the Federal to hunt and pattern with. I'm curious to see what a 1 5/8 load like Apex, Verdict or Rogue will pattern out of my setup.
Out if mine the apex was highest count, but under thirty its very tight, the federals were best in over all pattern 30 and in which is where i kills 99% of my birds. Thes are at fourty and the federal i pulled a hair left
Federa 11/2
IMG_4010.jpeg
Apex 15/8
IMG_4009.jpeg

Latest posts