All of west TN is now CWD zone

WestTNshooter

I live in dyer county and it is a positive cwd county but the dnr does not classify it in the cwd zone. Makes no sense
I asked a GW at a CWD meeting in Dyer County last year about this. He said "One positive case in a county isn't going to change the whole county. If y'all want Dyer County added to CWD zone start dropping more of your deer off at our drop of freezers" My take from that is they know there's more CWD cases in Dyer County they just don't the positive tests to prove it.

yellalinehunter

I asked a GW at a CWD meeting in Dyer County last year about this. He said "One positive case in a county isn't going to change the whole county. If y'all want Dyer County added to CWD zone start dropping more of your deer off at our drop of freezers" My take from that is they know there's more CWD cases in Dyer County they just don't the positive tests to prove it.
Makes perfect sense to me.

mike243

It is in the East already so east Tn will end up with it 1 way or another, there is no stopping it, slowing yes but not stopping it.

BSK

I think the natural barriers deer encounter as it moves east will slow it substantially. Starting with the TN River. It'll hit another speed bump at the plateau. The mountains of far East TN have such a low population density, It could take a long time for some of those counties to ever have positive tests. I don't see the entire state testing positive in my lifetime. This is just an amateur opinion from someone self-educated on the subject of CWD.
Agree, but I put it at 25 years.

Henry

It's interesting that someone suggested trucks could be spreading this. My wife and I decided to start processing our own deer after I realized I walked and drove in water, blood, etc, at the processing facility and was bringing that home with me on the truck. But one case two years ago should NOT make my county a cwd area this year.

BSK

Although there can potentially be many ways CWD spreads geographically, the species own behaviors are almost certainly the primary cause. First, CWD spreads primarily through close contact with body fluids, especially saliva and urine. And what is the primary way deer communicate with each other? By interacting through saliva (licking branches) and urine (scrapes). Second, deer - especially bucks - move around geographically. Bucks can have far reaching travel patterns during the rut. Third, some young deer disperse great distances from the region in which they were born. And the more open the habitat, the farther they disperse. In southern Michigan, yearling bucks were documented dispersing over 100 miles from their birth range.

CWD spreads through a local population through normal behaviors, and then is spread geographically through range-expansion during the rut and also by dispersal of younger deer.

Latest posts