All of west TN is now CWD zone

ruger7mag

2-Step Enabled
I looked, but didn't see this posted anywhere on here.

Twra has now made all of west TN a CWD zone in regards to transport. This is really going to hurt the processors right across the line in middle TN.

Last edited:

Andy S.

I've got some clients who are going to be pissed! The hunt there but live in Nashville. Bringing home a head for mounting is going to be a nightmare. Plus no feeders and no salt-licks.
I hear you, but if they want to remain legal, they'll just have to get over it like we did back in 2018-2019. Carcass transport was a royal PITA for 2-3 years until CWD was detected further east and we were allowed to transport into some of the counties we had previously not been allowed to. Things will likely normalize with time as CWD detection creeps east and we all get to play by the same rules and regulations again.

Free range deer? If so, why do they run feeders? Pellets or corn?

Last edited:

Grnwing

I've got some clients who are going to be pissed! The hunt there but live in Nashville. Bringing home a head for mounting is going to be a nightmare. Plus no feeders and no salt-licks.
I carry a saw and borax to clean skull caps when I hunt outside the cwd zone. Plus deboning everything in the field It certainly makes for a lot more work to bring deer back legally.

BSK

I hear you, but if they want to remain legal, they'll just have to get over it like we did back in 2018-2019. Carcass transport was a royal PITA for 2-3 years until CWD was detected further east and we were allowed to transport into some of the counties we had previously not been allowed to. Things will likely normalize with time as CWD detection creeps east and we all get to play by the same rules and regulations again.

Free range deer? If so, why do they run feeders? Pellets or corn?
The use feeders (mixed protein and corn) for their baited late summer photo census.

Omega

Let me say I think these rules are logical and reasonable. But I also know some people who are going to be pissed!
I'm ok with rules, but the CWD unit doesn't make sense when new counties show positive but not added to the unit, only subject to the CWD rules. Either treat all CWD counties the same, or do away with the rules that don't apply to all the CWD positive counties.

megalomaniac

What about a cape for shoulder mounting?
Unfinished raw cape is fine to transport in most states that have CWD, and in most states without CWD allowing importation.

It's just bones, neural tissue (brain/spinal cord), and other organs that's banned.

When CWD popped in TN before MS, I learned how to cape and clean skull cap to legally bring the trophies back to MS (even tho middle TN is not CWD endemic yet).

It isn't hard to cape an animal if you take your time around the lacrimal ducts of the eyes, the hair just under the pedicle, and the lips.

Did anything ever happen to the high fence operation that was at the epicenter of the original outbreak in TN?

knightrider

Unfinished raw cape is fine to transport in most states that have CWD, and in most states without CWD allowing importation.

It's just bones, neural tissue (brain/spinal cord), and other organs that's banned.

When CWD popped in TN before MS, I learned how to cape and clean skull cap to legally bring the trophies back to MS (even tho middle TN is not CWD endemic yet).

It isn't hard to cape an animal if you take your time around the lacrimal ducts of the eyes, the hair just under the pedicle, and the lips.

Did anything ever happen to the high fence operation that was at the epicenter of the original outbreak in TN?
My understanding was you coulding move an undried cape across cwd unit to any other portion or across state lines, I thought it had to be mounted? But im not very smart either😂

Whitetaillane8

I'm ok with rules, but the CWD unit doesn't make sense when new counties show positive but not added to the unit, only subject to the CWD rules. Either treat all CWD counties the same, or do away with the rules that don't apply to all the CWD positive counties.
I agree. This will be the second season that only part of the CWD rules apply to Hardin County.

Andy S.

Has CWD been found in all West TN counties or is this a precautionary move?
No, it has been found in most of them, but not all of them. This graphic and link will help you.

CWD Distribution & Prevalence

1690200019761.png

Andy S.

No. No surprises there either. Hard to "legally prove" how/where it all started. Numerous rumors and theories have been floated, some with merit and some without, but I highly doubt anyone will ever prove without reasonable doubt exactly how/where it was introduced to SW TN. Based on prevalence rates at ground zero, I suspect it was here 6-8 years before detection, maybe longer. That means many of us and our families and friends, consumed CWD positive venison for at least 5 years before knowing it was present.

Latest posts