243 win vs 243 ai.

41Magnum

I'm a 243 guy, P.O. Ackley said that he didn't believe the 243 needed improving. However it does almost eliminate case stretching and gives a little more velocity. Go with the one you like and improved cartridges have a cool look to them IMO.

Lost Lake

I have a short action rem. That I have had for a couple of years and finally narrowed it down to be either a 243 win or a 243ai. I have never owned an ai. Improved but have always wanted one. My question is out to 350 yards is it worth it? This will be a combo rifle for deer and ground hogs.
I know there are some smiths on here but cant remember who they are. Who would be a good one to put a new rifle together and what barrel would you go with? Never had a custom rifle put together.
Thanks
Chris
What bullets are you planning on using for varmints and deer?

Tenntrapper

I have thought about several. 6.5 creedmoore.6.5-284 7-08 260 rem. I like them all and that's whats hard to decide lol.
I know Im late to the party, and you seem to be passed this part but ...the 6.5x284 probably isnt an option (might be). The original wildcat was for a short action. The standardized Norma round is a long action. It wont fit in a standard short action mag.
For what you are looking for, either 243 should work just fine. My preference for the SA would be the 260, but for ammo availability, the 6.5 creedmoore would be more logical.

squirrel_hunter

Research it your going to only get 100 fps to 130 fps faster maybe.
Good
Easier on brass life.
Shoot factory 243 or IA hand load ammo.
Push heavier bullet little faster
Bullet drop is a little less.

Bad
burn more powder
die. takes a special set. Pricey
Barrel life (if u shoot alot with hot loads.)
Fire forum brass
Hair more recoil

Some cases it doesnt help going to a ackley improved.
My redding 22 250AI die set was like 160.00 or so.
280AI redding die set around 200.00

MODEL7FAN

I love the 6 Remington. I shoot 105 Amax 3300 FPS with 24 in barrel. Get a 8 or 8.5 twist barrel. A 243 AI will also be similar

Latest posts