Savage axis .243

rattlesnake01

I bought my daughter the savage axis .243 and the thing kicks like a mule, I'm a big guy and it surprised the hell outta me. My buddy says it shouldn't kick that hard but when he watched me shoot it and how much it kicked back he was surprised as well. He gave me this stuff to pour inside the stock since it's hollow and very light but it's like concrete and I'm not sure I want to use it. I don't want anything permanent in there in case it doesn't really work, has anyone added weight to a stock and had good results? I've also tossed the idea up about buying her a Boyd's stock instead. She shot it once and doesn't like how bad it kicks.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Try a different load maybe? Better recoil pad and a cheek rest? Adding something solid to the buttstock will only add weight and change balance, which may help reduce recoil some, but that's not the real problem. Stock fit is more important

DaveB

I have 5 Boyd's thumbhole stocks. I really like them for a lot of reasons and the fact they are heavier helps with recoil.

However, I gave up accepting recoil a long time ago. I got myself a PAST recoil pad then a magnum one then another magnum one.

I wear a magnum model under my shirt at the range or in the field unless I happen to be wearing a particular heavy coat.

The recoil pads stop all the issues, they last forever (two of mine are over 20) they don't cost much and you don't have to carry a heavy rifle.

Very highly recommended.

rickyk280

I bought my daughter the savage axis .243 and the thing kicks like a mule, I'm a big guy and it surprised the hell outta me. My buddy says it shouldn't kick that hard but when he watched me shoot it and how much it kicked back he was surprised as well. He gave me this stuff to pour inside the stock since it's hollow and very light but it's like concrete and I'm not sure I want to use it. I don't want anything permanent in there in case it doesn't really work, has anyone added weight to a stock and had good results? I've also tossed the idea up about buying her a Boyd's stock instead. She shot it once and doesn't like how bad it kicks.
That's odd it kicks "you" that hard, I have two one in 7-08 for my daughter one in 243 for my granddaughter we have had them for several years and shoot quite a bit, we never really give any thought about the recoil. Both Axis with 20" barrels, I did pour 2 part, 2 Ton, Devcon Epoxy down the stock in the pistol grip and let it set up, but that was mostly to make the grip area stronger.

DaveB

Just my opinion the first generation of Axis stocks and the triggers were pretty much junk, I have one. Got a Boyds for it and cut pieces of a loop off the trigger spring thing until I got what I wanted. Will admit to first checking on availability and cost of a replacement spring.

The PAST recoil pad is a much better overall solution. And as for ladies, I got one for the Mrs. but she prefers the magnum one.

Latest posts