2020 Fort Campbell Season

Rakkin6

Lol well it is the only place I really have to hunt since the Army brought me here. I am from East Tennessee and have land there but it is about a 3 1/2 hour drive each way for me.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Omega

Rakkin6":3h0n3wk7 said:
Lol well it is the only place I really have to hunt since the Army brought me here. I am from East Tennessee and have land there but it is about a 3 1/2 hour drive each way for me.

Do like I did on active duty, take two weeks of leave and hunt. That was how I burned leave, 2 weeks to hunt, 2 weeks fam vacation.

I stopped hunting Ft Campbell while still active, just couldn't stand the regs and the check-in/out system. I had come from Hunter Army Airfield in GA and they had the same call in system. But you would get a permanent parking permit, the MPs could always call in to make sure you were parked in the proper area so no issues. But here, you have to drive in to get a permit, and if something happens in the current area (which does often), you have to drive back for a new one before going to a new area WTH?

Rakkin6

Well I retired in March after 23 years and I wound up getting 100% disability. So I have a lot of time on my hands to hunt. Going to try to hit it hard Mondays, Thursday and Fridays.

Rakkin6

Hey guys I have quite a few boxes of 12 gauge Remington Accutips I am trying to sell if anybody needs some slugs. Just p.m. me and I will give you a deal. I know slugs are hard to find right now and I have plenty. Just couldn't get them to pattern well for me.

medwc

Well, since my chances at a velet buck at pretty much zero then I will go for the "all weapons challenge ". Which will be "make a kill with" both of my shotguns(20ga and 12 ga Savage), my CVA Accura MR, my Tenpoint Shadow NXT, and a compound bow tbd. Results will be posted.

JMissing0321

Omega":1e9qhjcw said:
Rakkin6":1e9qhjcw said:

Do like I did on active duty, take two weeks of leave and hunt. That was how I burned leave, 2 weeks to hunt, 2 weeks fam vacation.

I stopped hunting Ft Campbell while still active, just couldn't stand the regs and the check-in/out system. I had come from Hunter Army Airfield in GA and they had the same call in system. But you would get a permanent parking permit, the MPs could always call in to make sure you were parked in the proper area so no issues. But here, you have to drive in to get a permit, and if something happens in the current area (which does often), you have to drive back for a new one before going to a new area WTH?
For Campbell has a year long vehicle pass now. And online checkin/out and tagging of deer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

lightsareout

Creep0321":vfuyjk91 said:
Omega":vfuyjk91 said:
Rakkin6":vfuyjk91 said:

For Campbell has a year long vehicle pass now. And online checkin/out and tagging of deer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Good luck getting an area assignment with that check in system if your a civ

Rakkin6

Hey guys check out ISPORTSMAN there is an update. You no longer out your area assignment in your window. There is now a permanent vehicle pass that you put in your window and use it year round. You still have to have your area assignment and your post permit on your person while hunting.

Rakkin6

Got both my shotguns and crossbow sighted in today. Benelli with 2 3/4" partition golds shot great has usual been shooting this combo for about 5 years out of my Benelli. Federal 3" trophy copper from my Savage 212 was stacking them at 100 yards first year with this gun and shell. I know everyone raves about the Accutips and the Savage 212/220 but the federals shot better for me. Below is a pic of the federals and savage at 100 yards. Made a slight adjustment left after those two and was dead on.

Got my Tenpoint Stealth sighted in with some Grim Reaper broadheads out to 50 yards. Probably wouldn't take a 50 but nice to know I can. Shot 30,40 and 50 yards with actual broadhead to verify after sighting in with practice head. The actual broadhead was dead on with the practice head.
d2dff962bcddb82390a1f09a55b21ee9.jpg

@fulldraw

Good luck! Friday check in will be here before long. Hope it doesn't crash. :bash:

Anxiously awaiting FC to open since I tagged my Ky buck opening evening.

Rakkin6

@fulldraw":38b5v5qy said:
Good luck! Friday check in will be here before long. Hope it doesn't crash. :bash:

I am sure it will crash that is standard data for the Army

Rakkin6

Rakkin6":1r7gt8iq said:
@fulldraw":1r7gt8iq said:

I am sure it will crash that is standard data for the Army

Good luck to you also

medwc

Rakkin6":zggtqpke said:
Federal 3" trophy copper from my Savage 212 was stacking them at 100 yards first year with this gun and shell.
I had the same results with them but I was using a 220. I had a couple poor blood trails with them. The deer never went far so I found them ok but it made me look for another round. Now I am using Remington Premier Barnes Expanders Slugs. They are just as accurate and so far have left good blood trails.

Rakkin6

medwc":3u9el40h said:
Rakkin6":3u9el40h said:
Federal 3" trophy copper from my Savage 212 was stacking them at 100 yards first year with this gun and shell.
I had the same results with them but I was using a 220. I had a couple poor blood trails with them. The deer never went far so I found them ok but it made me look for another round. Now I am using Remington Premier Barnes Expanders Slugs. They are just as accurate and so far have left good blood trails.
That is disappointing to hear, maybe a little bit more blood with the 12's I will let you know how it goes. I also have a Benelli SBE 2 that I use a d sighted in Saturday. In that gun I use 2 3/4 Winchester Partition Gold's. It is a tack driver also. If I get bad results with these shells I will just carry that gun. I plan on switching them up throughout the year. Just like something different every now and then.

Rakkin6

Already know what areas I want lol, put quite a bit of boots on the ground this year in several areas

medwc

Rakkin6":2eyg7cpc said:

I zeroed/checked my 220, 212 and ML yesterday. The 220 and new ML are tack drivers but the new 212 was a being a pain shooting 2 3/4 Accutips. 8" to 10" spread at 100 yards had me all worked up. Checked my scope mounts, all good and tight. Checked my scope, everything seemed all right with it. Took my time, made sure I was steady, and shot three more rounds. Same big old shot group. Got pissed and figured it was me. I did have five rounds of 2 3/4 hornady SSTs with me so I figured I would try them just to make sure. Fired two rounds high and to the right but both hits touching. I made scope adjustments and put the next three all in the 3" circle. It is crazy how Savage says Accutips are best for this gun but this one doesn't like them. I have read mixed review on the SSTs but that is all I have for now so that is what the 212 will be spitting.

Latest posts