2018 Plans

Buzzard Breath

TX300mag":i1y0bxwt said:
Since I'm new at the western thing I'm basically going to target elk using Randy Newberg's advice on draw and OTC. Is this practical?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd never seen or read anything from Randy Newberg that would steer someone wrong. Every aspect of your first elk/western hunt is going to be a learning experience. Yea, you may kill something, but the knowledge you're going to gain is going to be far greater than you can imagine and you'll be able to return just that much more likely to succeed. It's going to change your life.

wjohnson1983

TX300mag":1b6tnt05 said:
Since I'm new at the western thing I'm basically going to target elk using Randy Newberg's advice on draw and OTC. Is this practical?

I did my first "western" hunt two years ago on antelope, and went with AT Hiker for mule deer this year. Your draw odds will probably be better for something other than elk unless you are looking at a cow tag. Of course CO has OTC tags for the later seasons.

I did live in AK for ~4 years from 2007 - 2012 and did moose, caribou, and trapping there, so parts of the western hunt weren't completely foreign to me.

TX300mag

Thanks guys for the encouragement.

I'm trying to make the most of the time while I'm still able. I'll be on a budget, but who isn't? Probably none of you guys that are making it happen. I'm hoping that I can realistically commit $1000 or so and make it happen (splitting fuel and camping). I've cut back on coffee ($13/lb whole bean, not Starbucks) and I wouldn't be surprised if another small issue or two doesn't make most of the difference. If $1000 isn't reasonable starting out I'm sure I'll get more efficient as I go.

I'm learning that if you prioritize and decide what's important, excuses are usually just justifications for chasing material things and social status.

TX300mag

AT Hiker":3fe2a3t5 said:
$1k budget....tag cost will eat up over 122 of that.

Is that not realistic? I was figuring $6-700 on license and tag and splitting fuel cost with a couple of others. Is that not realistic?

Buzzard Breath

AT Hiker":2zbt9cu5 said:

I don't think he's going to fill up coolers with fancy beer and whiskey like we do. That should cut costs by quite a bit.

Buzzard Breath

TX300mag":2h7145vn said:
AT Hiker":2h7145vn said:

Is that not realistic? I was figuring $6-700 on license and tag and splitting fuel cost with a couple of others. Is that not realistic?
"$1,000 or so" is fairly realistic if costs are kept to a minimum. Allot will depend on fuel costs at the time. I don't take things like food into account when I budget a hunt because I've got to eat if I'm hunting or just at home. But, I'm not the best at keeping costs to a minimum. I sure do like a hot shower and comfortable bed after spending a week on the mountain.

One thing to consider is that those of us that have been doing this for awhile have extra equipment laying around. Whether it's stuff we've upgraded, or stuff we just aren't using at the moment. I'm sure most of us would be more than willing to let you borrow it to and help make this happen.

AT Hiker

Buzzard Breath":250piwxu said:
TX300mag":250piwxu said:
AT Hiker":250piwxu said:

"$1,000 or so" is fairly realistic if costs are kept to a minimum. Allot will depend on fuel costs at the time. I don't take things like food into account when I budget a hunt because I've got to eat if I'm hunting or just at home. But, I'm not the best at keeping costs to a minimum. I sure do like a hot shower and comfortable bed after spending a week on the mountain.

One thing to consider is that those of us that have been doing this for awhile have extra equipment laying around. Whether it's stuff we've upgraded, or stuff we just aren't using at the moment. I'm sure most of us would be more than willing to let you borrow it to and help make this happen.

Like BB said, we might have some equipment you could borrow.

I meant to say 1/2 the cost of the $1k. But as stated, CO will eat up $700, leave you $300 for travel. Personally, it would be tough for me. A hot meal every once in a while, a 6er of good local brew, fuel, and a bed/shower before the long drive home would be tough to fit in the $300. Heck, it cost me $70 just to get to St Louise from my house in Clarksville.
Sounds like fuel is gonna be a big factor in whether you can make that budget happen. Doable, yea but enjoyable????

TX300mag

I'm definitely only counting expendable expenses. I figure gear and equipment as capital items in a different group. I'm not tied to any number specifically and I'm definitely not going to miss out on a hunt over a couple hundred dollars. I know plenty who look for reasons they CAN'T and refuse to be that guy.

$300 of diesel at today's prices gives me almost 2000 miles, and I'm not going to head out on my own so unless fuel prices just skyrocket I think it's doable by sharing the cost. If not, I'll pay a little more. :)

If it happens to be Colorado I've got family in Denver area. That could be a shower spot on the way in or out. I also have a connection in Wyoming with a place to stay if needed. If this is the case should I consider these as I look at different areas?

AT Hiker

Unless it's a cow tag I would avoid WY, simply because the general units would require some serious backcountry travel and grizzly bears.
CO might be a bit better for OTC hunting, then again I really don't know if public lands in certain areas are truly conducive to a days hike from a trail head.

Buzzard Breath

CO would be your best bet. Without points, you can't draw a General tag in WY. The Special tag isn't even a guarantee anymore. But, the Special tag would eat all $1,000 of your budget just for the tag.

If you are determined to go, and it sounds like you are, go ahead and put in for some of the draw units that don't take any points to get. This is a good way to make sure your buddies are committed as much as you are. You'll all be monetarily bound. Check the box on the application that says if you don't draw, you want the OTC voucher. Then, you just take the voucher into any Wallyworld and exchange it for your OTC elk tag.

tn droptine

Utah has many OTC tags for elk, both resident and non-resident. Since I just moved here, I think I am going to try it out in a spike-only unit and hope for either a spike or take a cow elk - whichever presents itself and learn how to western hunt in the process.
Prob try to draw a mulie tag out here as well, if I don't get drawn I'll head to Idaho and do OTC for mulies there.

wjohnson1983

Question for those that apply in Arizona.

The regulations state:

"An applicant must possess a license (including lifetime, pioneer or disabled veteran's) that is valid on the last day of the application deadline for that draw."

The elk/antelope application end on 2/13/2018 and my license from last year expires on the same date. I read this as my license is still valid to apply for the elk/antelope draw this year? Should I just go ahead and buy a new license since I'll need it later for deer anyways?

Buzzard Breath

wjohnson1983":ox37vezx said:
Question for those that apply in Arizona.

The regulations state:

"An applicant must possess a license (including lifetime, pioneer or disabled veteran's) that is valid on the last day of the application deadline for that draw."

The elk/antelope application end on 2/13/2018 and my license from last year expires on the same date. I read this as my license is still valid to apply for the elk/antelope draw this year? Should I just go ahead and buy a new license since I'll need it later for deer anyways?
I'd go ahead and apply using your old license and just buy a new one after it expires. If you wait until the last day and have any issues, you're screwed. Then, just buy a new one after 2/13. If you have any questions, call their fish and game. They've always been real helpful when I've called them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts