2018 Plans

Buzzard Breath

Draws are getting ready to start.

I'll probably do a solo WY antelope hunt. I've been wanting to get back and try bowhunting them. I'd even done the research for a unit last year but ended up not putting in for it do to time constraints. I'll stick with that same unit because It'll give me a chance to scout an elk unit I want to draw in the next couple of years. I'll fly into Denver and rent an SUV for a week, pick-up a ground blind, stove fuel and some groceries. I'll pack my backpacking gear to keep luggage to a minimum and truck camp for the week on a trout stream just inside the national forest that occupies some of the unit. Of course, I'll have a fly rod with me.

I'll also try to draw a second choice mule deer tag for the area. It looks like I have about a 10% chance of drawing one. If so, I'll extend my stay to catch the first bit of the season. But, my emphasis will be on antelope and not deer.

This could all change in the next couple months, but it's a start.

What's everyone's plans for 2018?

AT Hiker

I should draw Iowa, so that's gonna eat up a week in the first part of November.
Got a point for a general deer tag in Montana, so I will take a really long weekend for the opener to head there and bust me a private ranch Muley.
President Island will be drawn so I will spend the long weekend in December there chasing ghost.
Can this antelope tag your after be draw 2nd choice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AT Hiker

nwsg76":184ifbok said:
Anyplace that will give me a tag.
I did iowa in 2017...hoping for north dakota mule deer tag in 2018. Have plenty of point but nothing really lined up for 2018

ND has some whopper Muleys! I'm building points for SD, maybe get a Muley tag then a couple whitetails.

PickettSFHunter

All deer plans as far as I know. I really need to learn more about other draws. I have South Dakota points for deer and antelope but not really sure how many points I actually need.

I have 1 Iowa point so will just buy a point there again.

I WILL do Blackbeard Island archery hunt this year. That's a given. I will also hope to draw Sapelo Island again.

I may skip on traveling for turkeys this year, not enough points for Georgia. May end up in Alabama though for the opener, who knows. Really want to travel for a Merriams but need a partner. Already unsuccessful for AL and FL turkey draw hunts.

AT Hiker

PickettSFHunter":tv1zsqsw said:
All deer plans as far as I know. I really need to learn more about other draws. I have South Dakota points for deer and antelope but not really sure how many points I actually need.

However many points it takes us will be worth it, trust me. Those whitetail rut like crazy and I witnessed it first hand on my travels to Montana back in November.

Those refuge points we have should be good hunts too.

lightsareout

I would love to do an OTC elk hunt of some kind but i'm not certain that will happen. If I were to do this I'd have to give up my 2 weeks hunting in Michigan. If I knew for certain I was guaranteed a kill for meat it would help the decision.

wjohnson1983

First on the wishlist is to go back to AK and do a moose hunt general tag with my friend up there.

I'll put in for blue chip units in several states and see if I get lucky. May try NM this year too since most of the money gets refunded if you don't draw and its completely random.

7 antelope points in WY, but that draw is one of the latest ones. Means I have a chance to wait and see what happens beforehand on the other draws. 4 WY deer points too, but probably won't consider burning them yet.

wjohnson1983

PickettSFHunter":2y5za3oe said:

I have 1 Iowa point so will just buy a point there again.

I WILL do Blackbeard Island archery hunt this year. That's a given. I will also hope to draw Sapelo Island again.

I may skip on traveling for turkeys this year, not enough points for Georgia. May end up in Alabama though for the opener, who knows. Really want to travel for a Merriams but need a partner. Already unsuccessful for AL and FL turkey draw hunts.

I'd like to travel for a Merriam's as well. Have 3 or 4 turkey points in CO, but I think other states are easier/better hunting.

AT Hiker

March would be a intense Western turkey hunt, a few years ago I had to cancel plans because of a late April blizzard!
SD season runs up into early May and so does Nebraska. Wish Rapid City would offer up some cheap flights, that would be super convenient.

AT Hiker

PickettSFHunter":31ks0pnp said:
Seems most people go in May.

My experience in the Black Hills of Nebraska and South Dakota proves later in the year is a bit better. Especially in SD, as those flocks seem to be stuck on private ground early in the year.
Not to mention Winter is still around in April, or not to far to be found.
Nebraska gobbling was not prime in May, or not as good as SD was. We did get hit with hail and tornadoes in NE, so that's a huge downfall to going later in the year.

Hunter pressure wasn't to bad either, more people in NE (granted less public land) but nothing that messed with the experience.
SD had tons of more public land and the Black Hills are beautiful. Seemed like less birds in SD but the experience was better than NE.

Buzzard Breath

AT Hiker":9e1a0rtz said:
Can this antelope tag your after be draw 2nd choice?
Of course. 1 in 15 Special random and 1 in 87 Regular random. If I remember correctly, it's the unit south of your muzzleloader hunt from a couple years ago.

Buzzard Breath

DaveB":11bc8sv2 said:
With any luck I want to take my two Sons on a cow elk hunt to one of the big ranches in New Mexico.
I couldn't tell you how many times I've thought about doing this just to fill my freezer. Very reasonably priced.

Latest posts