2018 Plans

shirtshirt

peleejosh":14vjob1f said:
AT Hiker":14vjob1f said:
WY elk is due this month. Gonna drop some c-notes and try my random luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many points are required to have decent odds.

Depends on the unit but if you have 0 points your odds are essentially 0.

UNLESS you're willing to put in for Cow/Calf tag. Your odds to get one of those without any points are much much better.

AT Hiker

peleejosh":3akpe36o said:
AT Hiker":3akpe36o said:

General tag is gonna cost you a point at minimum, however most of those units are either Wilderness or you need horses to pack into the Elk. Once I do cash my WY elk points, I'm probably going the Outfitter route. I want to experience hunting in the Thorofare of Yellowstone at least once in my life, hopefully once every couple of years.
Right now I have at least 6 elk points, I'm trying for a unit in the Big Horns, which would require a outfitter as well because it's mostly Wilderness and WY has the sketchy laws regarding non residents and the Wilderness.

shirtshirt

AT Hiker":3s664igl said:
peleejosh":3s664igl said:
AT Hiker":3s664igl said:

General tag is gonna cost you a point at minimum, however most of those units are either Wilderness or you need horses to pack into the Elk. Once I do cash my WY elk points, I'm probably going the Outfitter route. I want to experience hunting in the Thorofare of Yellowstone at least once in my life, hopefully once every couple of years.
Right now I have at least 6 elk points, I'm trying for a unit in the Big Horns, which would require a outfitter as well because it's mostly Wilderness and WY has the sketchy laws regarding non residents and the Wilderness.

With wilderness you just have to have a licensed guide or resident companion (who also has to get a free permit to be able
To guide you). Is there something else about designated WY wilderness that I'm missing?

AT Hiker

shirtshirt":otwrf5nc said:
With wilderness you just have to have a licensed guide or resident companion (who also has to get a free permit to be able
To guide you). Is there something else about designated WY wilderness that I'm missing?
No, that's the stupid law. Give me a fly rod and I'm allowed in, give me a hunting permit and all of a sudden I must have a "guide".
I'm fine with the guide part, because where I want to hunt requires horse travel and it's a lot less headache to hire one because living 1200 miles away makes logistics a pain, plus I'm not much or a horseman.

shirtshirt

AT Hiker":dskephts said:
shirtshirt":dskephts said:
No, that's the stupid law. Give me a fly rod and I'm allowed in, give me a hunting permit and all of a sudden I must have a "guide".
I'm fine with the guide part, because where I want to hunt requires horse travel and it's a lot less headache to hire one because living 1200 miles away makes logistics a pain, plus I'm not much or a horseman.

Ah, yes, i agree. It's corny.

Jmed

I'm putting in for Elk again in Montana and planning to go back for another Muley this year if I don't draw the bull permit. Will also be buying points in Wyoming for Deer, elk, and antelope for the coming years. Ive taken a whitetail, muley, and a pronghorn the past two years and am really wanting the bull permit, but it is hard to get for the area we hunt. Hunting out there will spoil a country boy for sure!

AT Hiker

Got my AZ elk and pronghorn app in. Also have my WY elk app in.
Here is a table from Eastman's that I received in a email.
23c5b73ace919afe984ea62623a1b2de.jpg

wjohnson1983

I applied to pronghorn in AZ, but just bought the point for elk. I would want to hire a guide if I drew an AZ elk tag, and I don't think I could swing it this year.

I haven't applied to WY elk yet. Thinking about just buying a point later this year.

AT Hiker

I just updated my AZ payment info. My credit card expires this month, so if yours expires anytime during the draw you must update it in ALL species applications. If your card denies then they will deny your app if your lucky to draw.
When I drew my Coues tag a few ears ago I got lucky because they called me when my card wouldn't work. They stopped this and will not call.

AT Hiker

Just gave a Montana a bunch of moola for me and my granddad. Tentatively we are planned to hit up the opener in late October on our favorite ranch.
I love the earned aspect of public land but it sure is nice to have a laid back hunt with my granddad on a decent ranch. Free to hunt how we want with no worries of pressure.
Hopefully I will not forget to put in for the MT antelope draw this year. Screwed up and forgot about it last year so now I'm a year behind on points.

Mattt

I gave up my Private ground spot in Wyoming. Will be hunting in co this year. Backpack elk otc for sure, have taken a job there so plenty of time to scout.

Mattt

Gave up my private ground in Wyoming. Probably walking away from my elk points there also. Will be otc elk in co this year. I will remain tn resident but am working in Colorado and will pretty much take off the archery season and maybe the otc rifle elk also. U guys that are on the fence about going out need to bite the bullet and do it. If meat is an issue go to Colorado, if u don't fill ur elk tag u can shoot all the does u want off my tn farm. U can read and study all I want there is no substitute for being there.

AT Hiker

Anybody putting in for NM? I've been studying the deer units and they look bleak.
I'm gonna start throwing my name in the hat this year and see what happens.

AT Hiker

My wife is gonna kill me. I just put a whole bunch of New Mexico tag fees on our credit card. Would have been 1/2 the cost if I didn't throw my name in on the Oryx hunt!

AT Hiker

Colorado deadline closing upon us! I applied for some points last night along with a 2018 fishing license, cheaper this way vs paying the $40 point fee.

If things go as planned I will be doing a scouting trip in Posers neck of the woods to hopefully find me a basin to cash my 4 deer points in on for 2019, hopefully.

gtk

Staff member
I put in for Mule Deer in gmu 75 (posers area) too AT Hiker.. From talking to the locals out there last year, they said "out-of-staters" seem to have better luck drawing mule deer than the locals do.

if i do get a mule deer tag, i can almost 100% guarantee I'll fill it.

AT Hiker

gtk":36m95bcy said:
I put in for Mule Deer in gmu 75 (posers area) too AT Hiker.. From talking to the locals out there last year, they said "out-of-staters" seem to have better luck drawing mule deer than the locals do.

if i do get a mule deer tag, i can almost 100% guarantee I'll fill it.

That's the unit I plan on scouting this Summer in addition to 74. What season are you looking at?

Latest posts