CO 2018

gtk

Staff member
We had another great time in CO this year.

Within 36 hours of opening day, three of us had 3 nice bulls down. I had a deer tag, so the next day I took my first mule deer. A day to wait on the processor, and then headed back home 4 days early :super:

This was a DIY hunt. My brother, myself, and an 80 year old friend of the family, that has been wanting to kill an elk for years & years.

Opening Morning, the 80 year old man killed this nice one. We could have ended the trip there and called it a great success. This man was SO happy, it's hard to describe. All he has talked for several years, was about killing an elk before he died or got too old to make it out west any more. He's about too old now, but he wanted to try again.

After taking care of his elk, I went back out and took this one right at dusk. He took a 168g TTSX thru the lungs and never flinched. He ran about 200 yards and just piled up. Of course, it was later and no one was near to take good pics of me with my elk :(

The next morn my brother took a nice bull . His bull was actually the largest, but these pics don't do it justice.

Attachments

• co2018.jpg
    co2018.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 2,810
  • co2018_s.jpg
    co2018_s.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 2,815
  • co2018_s2.jpg
    co2018_s2.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 2,816
  • co2018_j.jpg
    co2018_j.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 2,813

gtk

Staff member
I am happy with my first mule deer. When I saw him , i was so focused on him that I didn't see the other 5 buck with him. I shot him, and then all the other bucks raised their heads on alert. Two of them where HUGE :smash: and all I could do was watch them look at me before walking off like nothing ever happened.

Attachments

• co2018_mulie.jpg
    co2018_mulie.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 2,811

gtk

Staff member
On the way back home, I decided to take the "scenic" route back to my new house in Colorado Springs. As soon as I got up to about 9500 and climbing, I realized it may have not been the best decision

Attachments

• co2018_snow.jpg
    co2018_snow.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 2,807

Andy S.

That trip looks heavenly from so many angles, congrats to all of you, and bigger congrats to y'all for helping the 80 year old man accomplish his dream. That's awesome of you guys. Thank you for sharing your story and your pics.

gtk

Staff member
EastTNHunter":2udrch6w said:
Very cool, and congrats. What unit? Public or private land? Did elevation effect you, as it kicked my butt last week.
Hunting GMU 75, private/public (bordered each other)

Elevation didn't affect me this year.. I had altitude sickness 4 yrs ago on a hunt, and it isn't fun at all !

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I considered a trespass hunt, but really didn't know where to start to obtain permission. My dad and I went with an outfitter this time, and he took very good care of us, but still didn't get the satisfaction of a DIY hunt. That looks like an awesome experience

Latest posts