Zeiss Conquest, Nikon Monarch or Leupold VX-lll

ShootmStraight

He guys, I am getting my equipmet ready to go on my first elk hunt this comming fall. My rifle is a Remington Sendero 300 UM. I need to upgrade the glass on it. I have read a lot of reviews and looked at a few pieces of glass. I have narrowed it down to 3 scopes the Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x44AO, Nikon Monarch 4x16x42 and Leupold VX-III 4.5x14x44 AO.

I think all are good scopes. I have never had any of the three.
Can you guys give me some advice?

Model70Man

I have the Leupold you mentioned and it's a good scope. The one thing I don't like about it is the AO. I hate it. I hate trying to keep the thing in focus from 50 yds out to 300 yds when I'm coyote hunting.

All 3 are good scopes. If I had to choose one, I would go with the Zeiss.

CZ284

I have two 3.5x10x50 VariX III- you can't go wrong with Leupold and they definitely stand behind their products with no questions asked. The thing I like about the 50 MM is that even at max power, you still have a 5 mm exit pupil (divide objective size by magnification to get exit pupil). The 5 mm exit pupil is the max the human eye can take in so you get the best brightness. 44/14=3.1, so at high magnification and low light, you're going to end up scaling back on the power setting to be able to see well.

I've hunted mulies quite a bit with this scope and never had problems. All my elk have been with a bow, but they live in the same area. I don't depend on the rifle as much as skill to get within 200 yards of them. More fun, less room for error.

Just be careful about getting max light transmission at higher power, and to do that you can't defeat physics. To get max light at high power you need a larger objective lens.

ShootmStraight

Thanks CZ, I will deftake that into consideration. The reason i was not looking at the 50mm's was that i want the scope as close to the barrel as possible. I know a 40 would be closer, but i was hoping the 42 or 44 would allow a little more light than the 40.

cdw338

I have five Leupold scopes at present. Two of them are 3.5 X 10
X 50.
I used one of them to shoot a elk at 425 yards with. I used 8 power on that shot. Most of the time I only use 6 power. I also do not want the AO on my hunting scopes. Sight in your rifle at the highest magnification and for get about it. The parralax will decrease as you decrease magnification. (Note:
parralax may not actually decrease, but it will be noticed less as the magnification decreases).

I also have a 300 Ultra mag and it has a leupold on it, however
the next scope I buy will go on that gun and it will be a
4.5 X 14 X 50 Zeiss.

Try them all outside and in the late evening and then make your decision. They are all good scopes.

CZ284

Understand Shootm. Maybe it doesn't affect me that much since both of my rifles are custom jobs with Monte Carlo stocks.

Note what CDW said about his next scope having a larger (50 mm objective).
Then again, Leupold just came out with their new VXL that might be worth checking out- you get the performance of the large objective but it monuts lower, like a 36mm objective.

Just out of curiosity I looked them up at Bass Pro, the Zeiss Conquest and the VXL in the same 4.5-14 magnification are only $30 different in price, the Leupold being the more expensive.

For my dollar, I'd go with the Leupold for one reason, which I've got personal experience with- I have a pair of Zeiss compact binocs that I'm having a real problem getting repaired. When my son broke one of my Leupolds ( I found out after loaning it to him and he fell down- wouldn't hold a zero after that), I sent it back to them. They returned it in less than 10 days, had replaced the turrets and fully reconditioined it at no charge, and sent test targets confirming it was fundtioning properly. Can't ask for better service, plus they're made here in the US.

Enough of my opinions- either would probably serve you well. I'm just a loyal Leupold customer.

Sniper

I would the rate the Conquest the better scope but Leupold has a reputation for better customer service. I have both manufacturers of scopes and have not had to send anything back. I would buy the Conquest.

Chaneylake

if you can find a store that will let you do the following

always do on the most cloudy overcast day possible
have all scopes that you are interested in, in front of you
put all scopes on 9 power or highest power of scope
start comparing

the last time i did this the ZEISS won hands down

most all of them are ok on a clear day high noon 3 power

AM84

Of what you've mentioned I would go for the Zeiss. I would however opt for the 4.5-14X50 Zeiss with the side focus.

I would also be considering: Meopta (great glass at a good price), Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16X50.

Any of the scopes you've mentioned are going to be hard to beat and you've been given very good advice already. Go to a store, get the scopes you are considering and look through all of them!

300WSM

I have both the Zeiss and Leupold. Zeiss is defintely the clearest and brightest. However it is heavier and longer. Something to consider is you are going to walking along way. The length of the Zeiss causes the bolt on my Rem 700 to just barely clear it.

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
Re: Zeiss Conquest, Nikon Monarch or Leupold VX-ll

Dern you folk's hide. All this talk and then I go in Legend's here in Athens and they've got all optics 25% off. Yeah, I did it. I walked out with a 4.5-14x44 Zeiss Conquest. I couldn't resist the price of $517. If I was ever going to buy one this was the opportunity. I've already mounted it on my 25-06 and boresighted it. Clarity and resolution looked to be great right at dusk tonight. This is my first Zeiss. It's all you folk's fault. Thanks.

RackHntr

LEUPOLD all the way. It will last you the rest of your life. You cant beat their service.

Model70Man

Whelen Man said:
Dern you folk's hide. All this talk and then I go in Legend's here in Athens and they've got all optics 25% off. Yeah, I did it. I walked out with a 4.5-14x44 Zeiss Conquest. I couldn't resist the price of $517. If I was ever going to buy one this was the opportunity. I've already mounted it on my 25-06 and boresighted it. Clarity and resolution looked to be great right at dusk tonight. This is my first Zeiss. It's all you folk's fault. Thanks.

You won't be disappointed. I used to be a Leupold man until I looked thru the Zeiss. Now all my bolt rifles wear the Zeiss Conquest.

Latest posts