Red dot or scope

Bon3_Daddy

Building a handed down 7400 in 3006. Building it for busting brush, up close sit on the ground type close quarters hunting...
I am addicted to hunting deer like turkeys during the rut!!

I keep coming back to a tubed vortex red dot with a 2 mil dot.
Anybody have a setup with a red dot? My old eyes don't pick up the iron sight that well.

Thanks

TN Larry

Put a red dot on a 30-30 when my son first started hunting for easy target acquisition due to being right handed and left eye dominant. He killed 7 deer that way before migrating to a scope and made some great shots with it.

Bon3_Daddy

Put a red dot on a 30-30 when my son first started hunting for easy target acquisition due to being right handed and left eye dominant. He killed 7 deer that way before migrating to a scope and made some great shots with it.
Was it a tubed or reflex style?
how was the sight in process?
Thanks for the reply!

TheLBLman

A 1-4 scope is pretty nice also. On 1x it would be pretty much the same as the red dot sight but with the ability to crank on 4x.
Not only this, but this traditional "scope" will provide a much clearer picture with aging eyes.

You may need to wear reading glasses with a red dot,
while the traditional scope has its own adjustments to your eyes.

Might also consider something like a straight 2x magnification or have more options with a 2-7x configuration.

Remi

Nothing gets me on target quicker than my 1-3 and 1-4 scopes, unfortunately not many produce those now. Sightron makes a 1.75-5 that looks excellent as well as several makers in the 2-7 range. I much prefer any of those to red dots for in the thick stuff.

My two favorites are a vx2 1-4x20 with heavy duplex on my 375 Winchester and a vx3 1.75-6x32 on my 358 Winchester. I think both are discontinued now.

Red-Team-98

I went with a 1x5 Primary Arms scope at 1 power it's like a Red dot then as you crank it up on power it has crosshairs it also has a illuminated ret if needed. It's also 1st focal plane.

TheLBLman

Look around for a Leupold 2x7x33 scope with their Heavy Duplex reticle. . . . . . fantastic in heavy cover.
If you really don't need to go up to 7x magnification,
one I like even better is the Nikon Monarch 1.5-4.5 x 20mm.
It's smaller, lighter, and just as bright, maybe brighter, in low light.

I have two of these particular Monarchs, which were originally made as "shotgun" scopes,
with a very heavy circle around the main crosshair reticle. Both of mine even came with a flat camo finish. Of all options I've reviewed, nothing else even comes close for a turkey shotgun or close-range rifle.

You might be able to find a used one, but they haven't been made in several years.

Bon3_Daddy

Look around for a Leupold 2x7x33 scope with their Heavy Duplex reticle. The glass in those old scopes, IMO, is equal to some of their more expensive offerings now. He Heavy Duplex reticle naturally centers your eye, and is fantastic in heavy cover.
Yes I agree on glass quality being better in the older models
If you really don't need to go up to 7x magnification,
one I like even better is the Nikon Monarch 1.5-4.5 x 20mm.
It's smaller, lighter, and just as bright, maybe brighter, in low light.

I have two of these particular Monarchs, which were originally made as "shotgun" scopes,
with a very heavy circle around the main crosshair reticle. Both of mine even came with a flat camo finish. Of all options I've reviewed, nothing else even comes close for a turkey shotgun or close-range rifle.

You might be able to find a used one, but they haven't been made in several years.
I hunted this season exclusively with my Ruger American 708.
I have a vortex 4-12x44 and my longest shot this season was 40 yards..so yeah, I can def get by with very low mag...I'm mainly concerned with target acquisition being cross eye dominant, and having a full field of view as possible.

mr.big

Yes I agree on glass quality being better in the older models

I hunted this season exclusively with my Ruger American 708.
I have a vortex 4-12x44 and my longest shot this season was 40 yards..so yeah, I can def get by with very low mag...I'm mainly concerned with target acquisition being cross eye dominant, and having a full field of view as possible.
The 1-4x on 1x is kinda like putting a crosshair in your glasses.

Latest posts