Youth deer rifle

Poleaxe

scn":gpk86rfl said:
Without factoring in the size of the child, it is pretty hard to make a recommendation. For the smallest, something with the AR platform and the adjustable stocks may be the way to go.

If the child is big enough to handle it and you want a rifle they can use for several years, take a hard look at the Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08 or .243. They are light and compact and are usually great shooters right out of the box. I took several deer with the Model 7 I had bought for my kids before I sold it to a friend for his son last year. It was a really nice little rifle.

Finally, somebody understands.

Gravey

monjorrow":1zkq0ih5 said:
My first was a NEF Handi rifle in .243. I think the single shot is ideal for a first deer gun as it forces you to make the first shot count. And I had no problem killing deer out to 200[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What he said. My son killed his first deer when he was 7 with one. I sold it and he's now 14 and hunts with my Encore .243. Heck I hunted with it until last year.

280longshot

My daughter started out with a CZ 527 in .223 caliber , she loves how light it is and it fits her.
I see they are making it now in 6.5 Grendel which would be an excellent youth rifle, something that will hold its value.
If price is a concern Howa is also making one in 6.5 Grendel.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

HuntingDicksonDTC

R.I.P.
Son started with a Howa lightweight in 243. Daughter a model 7 7mm08. Cut stock down to fit my daughter's LOP and put an adjustable comb on the stock. When her cheek touches the higher comb she has full view thru scope and she shoots rifle very well.

Cazador

Like SCN stated. AR platform. If you already have an AR all you will be looking for is an upper to go on it.

That said. When I bought for my daughters. I bought a Rem Youth 700 in 243. Short stock and barrel. I still take it to the woods. I take some church kids or other neighborhood youth on the Juvi hunts. I bring them to the house and let them shoot until they are consistent at 100 yards. Winchester 85 grains have little recoil and drop deer.
I like it because when it's cold and you are all bundled up. The length of pull is perfect.

Smo

I've never owned one but I hear a 25-06 is a good round.

But if it were me with a child just starting out.....

A Handi Rifle in .243 would be where I would start.

Aim small , miss small.

Winchester

.243 served both my boys well and performed flawlessly. If the youth is young and small you can start out with 85 grn bullets and move up to the 100 grns as they get used to the light recoil. This round is supremely accurate and will kill with great efficiency. Like I said my 2 boys have killed dozens and some big bodied bucks as well with no problems at all.

Hunt 365

We got the cva hunter in 7mm-08 and use the low recoil rounds. Had the same gun in 243 but lost 2 deer using it. Like the knock down with the 7mm-08. Almost no recoil

Jmed

My daughter was 7 last year when she got her first deer. I got her a ruger American rifle, the compact model chambered in .243. I went with the Hornady managed recoil ammo in 87grain SST and was astonished by the damage that bullet did. Little buck flopped on impact.

Latest posts