Youth deer rifle

bubbadye

What would everyone recommend as a good, low recoil caliber rifle for a young kid to shoot? Looking for something that they can grow into that can consistently take a deer out up to 200yds. Been looking at 243, maybe 7mm-08, 300 blackout. Asking for recommendations based on experiences. Thanks for any help.

Poleaxe

You can't grow into a gun. Either it fits or not. Your gonna get tons of replies. I learned the right way. It all has to do with Length of Pull. Just because it's a youth rifle doesn't make it their size. 95% of them are still to long for under 11yr old. Having to reach for the trigger is something you don't want them to learn. You tell me their height and age and I'll tell you the gun.

TNGRIZZLY_

2-Step Enabled
EastTNHunter":nm2hqp80 said:
6.5 creedmore. I really like the look and feel of the Ruger American compact in this caliber for a youth rifle

I second the Ruger American but in a 308. That what my boys use. Ruger American is a great compact rifle and you can get it in several cal. Good luck and what ever you do, dont force them to use one that kick hard or is heavy. They will be afraid of it.

monjorrow

My first was a NEF Handi rifle in .243. I think the single shot is ideal for a first deer gun as it forces you to make the first shot count. And I had no problem killing deer out to 200[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stykbow

I'm a 243 fan for young/small kids. Very low recoil and it'll kill a deer as dead as any round.

Jack of all trades, but master of none!

bubbadye

When i said grow into, I was thinking more along the lines of shooting distance. I dont want my 8 year old little girl trying to make a 200 yd shot. But I would like to have a gun in her hands that she can still be using in a few years that would reach out that far if she feels comfortable taking that shot. My boy is 10 girl is 8. Maybe an inch height difference between the two of them. Thanks for all the input so far. I been doin some checking on the calibers mentioned. I was really expecting to hear more 7mm-08 recommendations. I had always been told it was a good one to start with. But like I said, im still researching and taking any recommendations. Thanks again.

hunter0925

The 7mm08 is an awesome caliber for the youth or adults. I don't know if you reload or not but 120grain ballistic tips are great and you can move up if game bigger than deer is gone after. I still hunt with my 7mm08 fairly regular and the recoil is extremely mild and deer drop like they were hit with a hammer.

John.M

300 blackout. My nine year old didn't like the recoil of the single shot 243. She rocked the 300 today.
d407bcea080b53d7f304769f1e99f744.jpg

John.M

A benefit of the AR platform is the adjustable LOP.

scn

Without factoring in the size of the child, it is pretty hard to make a recommendation. For the smallest, something with the AR platform and the adjustable stocks may be the way to go.

If the child is big enough to handle it and you want a rifle they can use for several years, take a hard look at the Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08 or .243. They are light and compact and are usually great shooters right out of the box. I took several deer with the Model 7 I had bought for my kids before I sold it to a friend for his son last year. It was a really nice little rifle.

mike243

I bought a AR for the grand kids,stock adjustment means a lot ,grandson is a lot bigger than grand daughter so 1 rifle covers both,never seen any body say a 22 hornet,best I remember they are under powered and not much better than a 22 mag? all will kill a deer if properly used

Deerhunter

I built my son an AR in 6.8 SPC. He has been shooting it since he was 5 or 6 with no problems. No recoil and the adjustable stock make it the perfect deer rifle for him. I also much prefer the 6.8 over the 300blackout for shooting longer distances or if not shooting suppressed.

I originally bought him a 7mm08 model Seven but he doesn't like the recoil and the lop is still too long.

TX300mag

My oldest daughter shoots a 7mm-08 Rem 788 carbine. I'm not sure why, but the recoil is a lot higher than I would have thought it was. She's not recoil shy at all, though.

I just picked up a model 7 7mm-08. I'm hoping the recoil is milder with it. My oldest son is a little more recoil sensitive.

I had a 788 carbine in .243 growing up. I still used it regularly as an adult. I had planned on my kids also using it until thieves thought otherwise about 10 years ago.

Latest posts