Yellow perch question

Smo

Theses were caught on Devils lake… He said he threw 15 more back!

7EA2C1E6-B9DC-47B6-B4EF-B8A656002303.jpeg

Thanks for posting the link, I do plan on a road trip back up that way one of these days..

dpmiller613

I'm from the Northeast, way Upstate NY. Up until a few years ago I had a house on Lake Champlain in VT. You've never lived until you've caught a 5 gallon pail or two of Yellow Perch, filleted them and fried them. They are one of the absolute best fish around for flavor. I fished them year round and caught the biggest and best ones ice fishing in February-March when they were migrating to their spawn beds. If you ever have the chance to influence Tennessee into developing the fishery for them, take it. They do well in both warm and cold water and are a very hardy fish.

bluball

4-5yrs ago ibwas putting my boat in at harmons creek on kylake.2 younng boys in a 14 ft flat bottom showed me a cooler with probally 20 in it.They said they wentbway back in the creek to catch them,believe it was july when i saw them.

CATCHDAWG

I'm from the Northeast, way Upstate NY. Up until a few years ago I had a house on Lake Champlain in VT. You've never lived until you've caught a 5 gallon pail or two of Yellow Perch, filleted them and fried them. They are one of the absolute best fish around for flavor. I fished them year round and caught the biggest and best ones ice fishing in February-March when they were migrating to their spawn beds. If you ever have the chance to influence Tennessee into developing the fishery for them, take it. They do well in both warm and cold water and are a very hardy fish.
Tennessee has tons of them, just not on the op's side of the state.

WTM

4-5yrs ago ibwas putting my boat in at harmons creek on kylake.2 younng boys in a 14 ft flat bottom showed me a cooler with probally 20 in it.They said they wentbway back in the creek to catch them,believe it was july when i saw them.
there are none in KY lake, especially way back in the creeks. sauger either.

brassmagnet

Me and Urban Hunter got into a mess of them on Bledsoe Creek, off of Old Hickory Lake. We literally got tired of catching them. They did eat good though. I need to go get tired of catching again....

Cherokee

If you're ever on this side of the state and want to go, give me a shout. I'll take you to yellow perch honey hole. Very easy to catch 100+ eating size in a short amount of time. I need to get new tires on my jon boat trailer and I plan on hitting it in October myself.
I'm betting it's the same place I'm thinking of. I'm glad access is limited.

WTM

Thank you for the correction. I had the two fish confused. Actually I thought they were all the same.
yellow bass are very good eaters too. taste a lot like bluegill toward the side of crappie. mix some in crappie filets and most cant tell the difference.

i will warn you, they come out of the water pissed off and will hurt you with those razor sharp gill plates.

Crow Terminator

Affirmative on the gill plates! If you go to a place where you are likely to catch a bunch, it's not a bad idea to wear gloves or my trick is to put therapy tape on my fish grabbing fingers. They'll slice you open. I hate catching yellow bass for the same reason.

Latest posts