Deep cycle battery.....question

redblood

i have a minnkota ulterra 24 volt 80 pound thrust trolling motor on 2021 g3 sportsman 18ft boat. im assuming it still has the original batteries. they are tied together to get 24 volts and charged onboard . i have noticed on my trolling motor remote, the battery signal showing half charge after a little running as of late. at first i thought it was the battery to the remote but that turned out to not be the case after i replaced those triple a batteries. So noe im assuming that means i probably have one battery starting to go? it has always been plenty for my trips, but dont want to mess around when i can just go buy another battery. so my question? how can i tell which battery is bad? and would the battery i replace it with need to be the same brand(obviously it would be 12volt and similar cca)?

WTM

a carbon pile test set. or charge them both jndividually to full charge, let them sit a day and check the voltage. a sulfated battery will self dishcharge fairly quick.

as far as replacing, really need to replace both at the same time.

redblood

a carbon pile test set. or charge them both jndividually to full charge, let them sit a day and check the voltage. a sulfated battery will self dishcharge fairly quick.

as far as replacing, really need to replace both at the same time.
could i take them to the autoparts store and let them test em. thats where i would buy the replacements

yesmarwh

2-Step Enabled
If you have a costco close by, they sell interstate boat batteries at a good price. You can join costco and anytime during that year, if you are not satisfied with costco, they will give you a full refund of what you paid to join without any questions.

Mcboom

About 4-5 years is all I ever get out of my trolling batteries. I'd swap both and be ready for spring 😉

sll

Fully charge both batteries and then unplug them for a couple hours or so. Check voltage on each of them and if they are not reading at least 12.6V that battery is your culprit. If you can check voltage of each battery while they are charging it should read around 14V while plugged in.....if not you have a charger issue.

WTM

just a little fyi for you guys, flooded lead acid batteries need to be checked/service once a month or so. watering if needed is a must. voltage needs to be checked and they need to spend quite a bit of time on a charger to keep maintained. even a brand new lead acid or agm will self discharge in a few months down to a point to where the battery will be destroyed. dame for agm's except for the watering.

if you have the money, id replace with lfp batteries. dont fret over brand because all of them except battleborn and lithium pro's (except the TM models) are assembled in china and about the same quality. they basically just slap a decal on them.

Latest posts