Lithium Battery Question

Spurhunter

My boat has been closed up in my well insulated shop since Thursday afternoon. No doors or windows have been cracked open. My batteries are all in closed up compartments with their chargers. The batteries should've been fully charged by dark on Thursday. The chargers are plugged in. My batteries are not supposed to be charged below 32F. Am I in any danger?

megalomaniac

I would check your battery manufacturer's specifications. Many of the smart lithium batteries simply will not charge under 32 degrees, so no danger.

I'm NOT an expert, but have really started doing some research on lithiums since the price is coming back down. My little 350lb hull microskiff could benefit from switching from lead acid batteries to lithiums, I was just too cheap to buy lithiums 12m ago when they were $400 each.

Spurhunter

I'll ask my questions a little more specifically:
Is it a given that my batteries are below 32 degrees even though they are in closed compartments and the shop is well insulated? I'm thinking yes.
If my batteries were fully charged Thursday before the temps dropped below 32, will they discharge enough just sitting there to make my chargers come on?

woodyard

I looked at my paperwork for my impulse lithiums and it gave the range for charging 0 degrees F to whatever it said on top end (140F). These have the bms. My charger stays hooked up.

Last edited:

Hduke86

I'll ask my questions a little more specifically:
Is it a given that my batteries are below 32 degrees even though they are in closed compartments and the shop is well insulated? I'm thinking yes.
If my batteries were fully charged Thursday before the temps dropped below 32, will they discharge enough just sitting there to make my chargers come on?
I'm thinking your batteries are most definitely below 32 right now but as mentioned I don't think they will discharge enough to trigger the charger unless you have something on like a battery gauge or something small like that over time that will cause the charger kick on but that would probably take a long time to do

Andy S.

Is it a given that my batteries are below 32 degrees even though they are in closed compartments and the shop is well insulated? I'm thinking yes. Agree, yes!
If my batteries were fully charged Thursday before the temps dropped below 32, will they discharge enough just sitting there to make my chargers come on? Doubt it.
OFC, these are my guesses only, no way for me to know for sure.

Spurhunter

I looked at my paperwork for my impulse lithiums and it gave the range for charging 0 degrees F to whatever it said on top end . These have the bms. My charger stays hooked up.
When I bought my batteries I didn't think I needed the BMS. Now that my boat stays at the lake an hour and a half from home I'm rethinking that.

Latest posts