Yellow mustard

woodyard

How many like to use yellow mutard pre rub on butts , ribs, etc before applying your rub?

I did a Boston butt the other day with it and then put the rub on and then did a mop of cider vinegar, dijon mustard, salt and brown sugar every hour after three hours while smoking. It turned out remarkable I think mainly because of the mop.

Just got through putting mustard and the rub on some ribs for tomorrow s smoking event. First time I have used it on ribs.

One of the great fish fryers in the area dips the fish in yellow mustard before putting on the coating. Have to say it has always been good fish.

Remington700

I've used it when putting rub on pork before. Most of the time I don't. Flavor leaves when cooking and helps hold the rub on though.

brassmagnet

I put dry mustard in my rub and wipe the ribs down with vinegar then rub and let them sit in the fridge overnight. Add more rub next day while they are coming up to room temperature.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
I use yellow mustard on pork butts before adding rub. I don't use it on ribs but tried it once. I apply rub on ribs and let them sit in the refrigerator 12 hours or longer (basically overnight).

I usually smear yellow mustard on chicken wings then apply rub before cooking. I've done them with and without mustard and prefer using the mustard.

mike243

I have been using mustard for 35 years to help hold the rub on, cant tell it adds any flavor but if you want a thick crust of rub that's the way to go, tried a little hole in the wall yesterday in Rocky top burnt ends way to salty but were very tender, belly sandwich came with bbq sauce already on it but was decent

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I don't cook stuff like many on here but when I do cook ribs that is my second step, coat with yellow mustard.
Right after pulling off the "skin" on the backside of the ribs.

Might have to try it on some bream next time I cook.

tnraised

Yep, tend to buy skin on shoulders, leave a bit of fat when skinning then rub in mustard, season, wrap in saran wrap and let sit in fridge overnight. Really helps hold on the rub, I wasnt a believer but am now.

Teacher

2-Step Enabled
I have used mustard on both ribs and butts and I couldnt tell any difference on the taste. It does hold the rub on alot better than just the meat itself.

I always smear chicken with mayonaise whenever I grill. The mayo keeps the chicken moist and it adds no taste whatsover. I also dip half chickens in white sauce as I grill to keep it moist. This is probably my favorite. Works great for us!

Mud Creek

Not to hijack but mentioning mayo on chicken got me wondering has anyone put it on crappie(or any fish) and then baked it? Saw it on a crappie fishing video a while back, they said it was really good but I've never tried it but might tomorrow since I have some thawing now. What about slathering them in a bowl with mustard and sprite? Saw gerald swindle doing it and it sounded good also. Video for the mayo crappie cook and plus he catches some monsters in it lol

Latest posts