Yellow or white?

DaveB

I prefer yellow (but non-Vidalia-type). My Wife likes white.

The yellow have a stronger flavor that survives cooking a bit better than white, YMMV.

Buzzard Breath

Poser":2sd3mg9u said:
Hard to imagine fresh salsa with, say, red onions.
I've been making salsa with red onions for close to 25 years now. It has never occurred to me to change it and use white onions. Its simply not something I've ever thought about. I even use red onions in my guacamole. You may have just ruined me. I'll never be able to make Mexican food the same again. :?

Buzzard Breath":2sd3mg9u said:
4. Make salsa. Tomatoes from garden, jalapenos, onions, lime, salt.

But, you're right. I've never seen anything but white onions in any real Mexican cooking.

DaveB

Wonder if it has anything to do with short and long day onions or ability to keep without sprouting.

I have noticed that yellow onions sprout and go soft well before white onions.

DaveB

I can and do eat green onions as a snack. When you cook with them the flavor is too mild. You know how in chinese soup they use the tips as greens, you can barely taste the onion...

The cheap yellow onions, the ones that make your eyes water the minute you cut in to one, are perfect for cooking.

DaveB

My Mom had trouble boiling water. I never knew what an "over-easy" egg was. But my Mom could make potato soup. I have since tried, and always failed, to reach that level of success in the Potato Soup arena. There was no recipe. And my Mom always thought of a "foot" as any distance less than a yard but the little potato squares were always uniform in size.

Mom went to Beulah Land a few years back.

Sure missing that potato soup

catman529

Poser":2sii6tei said:
BamaProud":2sii6tei said:
To me green onions are more of an herb than an onion/ingredient. Potato soup isn't complete potato soup without a bit of green onion sprinkled on top.

Yep. I had some chili last night garnished with green onions.
green onions are good on top of many things. I do like to cook with the white part chopped up sometimes. Very mild

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TAFKAP

Vermin93":1x3xzdol said:
What are your preferred onions for
cooking and why - yellow or white?

Please don't say red, because while they are great, they are just too different.

Red is the one I use for everything. If for some reason I don't, I go for the white. They aren't as sweet as a yellow

moondawg

I've mostly used whites in the past. I've recently started using yellows. I've only used red for burgers, salads, etc...never cooked with reds.

Maybe I'll follow the white for Mexican, yellow for everything else.

AllOutdoors

Reds for burgers, salads, and subs. White for salsa and pico. Yellow for beans, soup, squash, chile, cabbage, or on the grill.

Latest posts