Wyoming Antelope

wjohnson1983

Some of you that go out west on a regular basis school me on how to pick a hunting unit and the process you go through to do it? This would be a DIY public land for me. I would probably start with just antelope since it would be my first time out. I lived in Alaska for 4.5 years and did the moose/caribou thing, so the processing/packing/camping aspect won't be new for me.

I have 5 preference points for antelope and 3 for deer in WY. Originally I had a friend in CO that went to WY every year to hunt, and I was going with him. He has since moved to AK.

I noticed that the draw for antelope this year is through May 31st, but I'm probably late in the game to pick something and go this year. So all this information gathering is probably for next fall.

I do bow hunt, but I would probably choose to go during rifle season because of the time/money of going out there.

If someone is close to Huntsville, AL and wants to get to know each other, I wouldn't be completely opposed to applying as a party and splitting travel cost.

On a side note, is the elk hunting in WY worth applying for preference points or do I need to look at other states? I have one preference point in CO for elk, but I was going with the same friend as above. So I haven't applied for another point the last 2 years.

Buzzard Breath

I'll post up some info this weekend when I'm stuck inside due to rain. I've helped a few others on here in the past. I've also got Mike Easton's book on antelope hunting. If you want to borrow it, shoot me a PM with an address and I'll send it to you. With 5 points, you could have a pretty kickass hunt.

AT Hiker

Here is a new resource for units. http://www.gohunt.com

I have not used it but from what I heard it is the absolute best for unit break downs for draw odds, success rates, public land percentages, etc.

With 5 antelope points you can draw some good tags. I would look toward the Western side of WY. Check out around Thermopolis area specifically. There are a couple units around there that have a lot of tribal land, stay away from those.

Dont focus so much on a "trophy" unit per say, unless you have already killed a Pronghorn or plan to hunt with someone that has. Reason being is that the vast majority of people cannot tell the difference between a 70" and 80" one. With that said, DO NOT shoot the first buck you see, with the amount of points you have you can spend a few days doing inventory on animals and make a decision. Plus have a few back up plans if you miss or blow a stalk.

I would love to tag along with you and hunt for does, Im not ready to burn my points yet. However, I am hunting KS deer muzzle loader (if I draw a tag) mid Sept and will be back in MT late Oct so I doubt I could make it this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wjohnson1983

Here comes a thread resurrection.

I've been practicing distance shooting for my antelope hunt this fall with several different guns. I've pretty much settled on my FIL's .25-06.

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this question, but I wanted some opinions.

He has some handloaded Sierra 90gr HPBT and 100 gr SBT that I've been shooting. They both group equally well, but point of impact is different. I may have to adjust scope depending on bullet

The 100s are about 4 inches low at 300 and about 14 inches low at 400. Windage is dead on
The 90s are about 14 inches high at 300 and 4 inches high at 400. Windage is 8 - 10 inches right.

Which bullet? I've never heard of anyone hunting with a HP.

AT Hiker

I cannot offer any bullet advice but keep this in mind....Pronghorn are delicate creatures, but their hair is very long and thick, giving the impression the animal is bigger than it is. Keep that in mind. Nature also blessed them (or us depending on how you look at it) with a natural target. A broad sided pronghorn will have a distinct point on its shoulder, this is where the white and brown hair meet . Aim at the 90degree point where the two colors meet and you will put a ethical shot on him.
Google a pronghorn image and you will see what Im talking about if you are not aware of what Im describing.

GOODWIN

Either will work. I'd zero for 200yds. That put you a couple inches high at 100. I bet somewhere around 300 yds the top of your bottom reticle post would be zero. Just go shoot and see. Good luck

wjohnson1983

Thanks to everyone that helped out with information on this hunt. Here are the pictures of my buck.

I didn't have a tape measure with me, but going by the dollar bill is 6 inches method, I measured him roughly at 12.5 tall, about 6.25 bases, and 5.5 - 6 prongs. That is assuming I measured the correct spots.

I'm tickled to death with him. We were in unit 25 which only has a 2 week season and there was 750 total tags. Surprisingly we didn't see many other hunters.

I also filled a unit 61 doe tag in the snow while I was out there.

wjohnson1983

Very addictive. Already trying to make plans for next year. I have 4 or 5 points right now. Guess I'll try to draw second choice again and save those points for a red desert tag since I'm half way there.

bigtex

Buzzard Breath":2umzmijh said:
Addicting isn't it!?!
Yes it is!!!! Good lord willing i'll be in Wyoming again next year with my Grandson.
Great looking Goat Wjohnson congrats to ya!!!!

AT Hiker

Awesome! That is a good looking "loper" and has some great cutters. Good growing seasons really impacts the pronghorn, it can make a decent unit into a trophy unit.
Congrats!
Did you kill him on public or where you able to get on some private? I started looking for a private land connection but have not found any except for a doe hunt. Good to know you didnt have issues with overcrowding.
What about mule deer, see any?

wjohnson1983

This was 100% public land. There wasn't much public land accessible in unit 25, but there was enough where we didn't even call around asking about trespass fees on private land. We ended up hiking in blind in a couple of areas to get away from the road. I purchased the OnXMaps for my iPhone and cross referenced with the BLM maps.

We did see three different groups of about 5 mule deer. Small bucks, does, and fawns. All the mule deer we saw were either in the last 30 minutes of light or on cloudy days. We saw others on the roadside at night. One small buck even walked across the intersection of two highways while we sat at the stop sign

wjohnson1983

bigtex":d8hzk3yh said:
Buzzard Breath":d8hzk3yh said:
Addicting isn't it!?!
Yes it is!!!! Good lord willing i'll be in Wyoming again next year with my Grandson.
Great looking Goat Wjohnson congrats to ya!!!!

I've been home less than a week and already am looking at draw odds and public access for next year. I don't think my wife is too keen on it though haha

I have a 11 month old right now and he got sick while I was gone, so that didn't make it any easier on her. I think we'll make an antelope hunt a fall break tradition when he gets older.

AT Hiker

Did you hunt opener or wait a while? At first I thought that unit was in deer region Y but realized it is further South and East, thats why I asked about the deer and if it was public. I had doe tags one year in 21 and public was a little to none and was void of animals.
Cooked any yet? Its one of my favorite wild game meats.
You got me itching to get back out there. My granddad and I leave next Wed for MT but nothing compares to WY for me.

wjohnson1983

We started the Tuesday after the Saturday opener. My wife was out of town on a business trip, and I couldn't fly in Colorado Springs to meet my partner until that Monday.

We could have filled either a doe or buck tag if we had one, but nothing of trophy quality.

I haven't cooked any yet, but am looking forward to it. I made 11 pounds of breakfast sausage. I hear some of my wife's sausage balls calling my name with that.

I need to double check, but I think I have 6 antelope points and 3 deer points now. May think of trying to pull off a combo hunt next time I head out that way.

I read the Eastman's book that was loaned to me. His statement was you should be able to hunt WY or MT for antelope every year by alternating years in each state. I may have to look into that. How's the public access in MT compared to WY?

AT Hiker

MT antelope unit 700 is huge, like 1/2 the state. Block management land and public are decent but WY has way more animals and accessible land. I keep applying for a Western MT unit that is really tough to draw but it sets between the Mountains and is close to Yellowstone. Basically a hunt/vacation.
My granddad and I are hunting mule deer on a ranch I gained access on 4 years ago. Its a good hunt for me and him to just enjoy, no frills but no hunter pressure either.

megalomaniac

gz on a great antelope... very pretty animal with superb cutters and well above average mass. I'd say you took one of the better animals out of the unit you were hunting.

Latest posts