WYO Antelope

AT Hiker

Got my euro finished up.
IMG_5018.jpeg

Also, discovered another local beer that gets me excited about these critters. The label of course made me buy it but it's actually good. If driving through Casper I suggest snagging a 6-er, in addition to all the Moose Drool one can buy😎
IMG_5015.jpeg

IMG_5017.jpeg

megalomaniac

AT Hiker

I showed BB these pics a few weeks back but thought it would be informative to share here.
This picture is of my MT antelope from a few years ago. If memory serves correct it was an average moisture year but the years prior were tough and very droughty in the part of MT I killed him in. However, he is one of my best antelope. Not as much as a desert as my recent WY antelope but dry high plains and similar food source. Not managed for trophies like the WY unit either.
IMG_4938.jpeg

2023 WY antelope. Northern red desert region so I'd say the soil is more abrasive but considering it just came off one of the worse winters in modern history, I'd say his horn growth was stunted. Genetically this area is top of horn quality and is managed more for age/trophy than most areas. He could have been an average loper in most years and just passed over. Still, not only are his upper teeth worn down (yes, I know not a typical protocol of aging) but his skull is much bigger.
This is also a recent picture after the skull has dried. Better comparison for the MT as far as color goes.
IMG_5024.jpeg

Side by side picture. The darker one is the WY loper fresh out of the degrease water, hence why it is so dark.

IMG_4936.jpeg

I'd wished I'd had my WY one aged now. I'd also would love to know what his potential would have been in optimal conditions. Since I'm wishing, I'd also like to know if that MT loper made it another year if he had been a legit booner🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

megalomaniac

I showed BB these pics a few weeks back but thought it would be informative to share here.
This picture is of my MT antelope from a few years ago. If memory serves correct it was an average moisture year but the years prior were tough and very droughty in the part of MT I killed him in. However, he is one of my best antelope. Not as much as a desert as my recent WY antelope but dry high plains and similar food source. Not managed for trophies like the WY unit either.
View attachment 218700

2023 WY antelope. Northern red desert region so I'd say the soil is more abrasive but considering it just came off one of the worse winters in modern history, I'd say his horn growth was stunted. Genetically this area is top of horn quality and is managed more for age/trophy than most areas. He could have been an average loper in most years and just passed over. Still, not only are his upper teeth worn down (yes, I know not a typical protocol of aging) but his skull is much bigger.
This is also a recent picture after the skull has dried. Better comparison for the MT as far as color goes.
View attachment 218701

Side by side picture. The darker one is the WY loper fresh out of the degrease water, hence why it is so dark.

View attachment 218702

I'd wished I'd had my WY one aged now. I'd also would love to know what his potential would have been in optimal conditions. Since I'm wishing, I'd also like to know if that MT loper made it another year if he had been a legit booner🤷‍♂️
Just an fyi... you can absolutely age animals by their upper teeth. We standardize lower jawbone because they are easier to see... but wear between upper and lower jawbone is commiserate

Latest posts