WYO Antelope

AT Hiker

Just wrapped up a filling meal. Fresh mountain trout from the high country and a pronghorn back strap I've been saving. I have this tradition of eating whatever I'm going after the night before opener. I have zero American Indian in me, mostly Irish, but something about consuming what I'm going after just feels primal and spiritual. Maybe it is the beer(s)I have with dinner that gives me that spiritual feeling while flowing through my Irish veins🤷‍♂️
IMG_3383.jpeg

Headed out early tomorrow to a glassing spot where I found the biggest lopers in the portion of the unit I scouted a few days ago. I cashed in a lot of points for this unit. I knew the winter was rough but didn't realize how rough until last week. I really didn't have a choice, I needed to use these points.
I'm optimistic and the fact that there is basically unlimited public land and low tag numbers will make it worth it. I've made my mind up, not going to be super picky as I feel like I looked over most of what's available to hunt. I would have chased them with the bow but the country is wide open and massive. However, as random luck would have it, I did get on the outside of my range of an average buck. 75ish yards, never knew I was there.
IMG_3359.jpeg

Stay tuned…

Last edited:

Buzzard Breath

I'll be honest. I haven't seen a dozen mule deer this whole trip. Ironically the ones I have seen have been does with fawns.
Even the alfalfa fields are lacking whitetails.
Some of the reports I've been reading have said does were aborting fawns this year. So, it's good that you're seeing some.

Huntaholic

Ive been blessed to have hunted antelope for over 20 years, every year, on the same ranch. I quit the game a few years ago when the ranchers son decided he was going to start "guiding" antelope hunters. LOL My group always killed bigger antelope than he knew existed on the ranch. I was hunting there when he was toddling around in the yard wearing diapers. With all that said, Im not near as mad or bloodthirsty anymore when it comes to killing stuff. Some of those years I actually felt sorry for the pronghorns. Ive took as many as 14 hunters at a time out there and with 2 or 3 tags each, well you get the idea of the slaughter Ive seen. Im old, (58) and Im done with numbers. Just because the game agencies say we can, doesnt mean we SHOULD.
Good luck on your hunt! Pick you out a good one and after you kill him thank GOD for providing you the opportunity to enjoy what he has provided us.

bigtex

Good luck to ya buddy. Kill whatever makes you happy. The stalk and the shot were what made my Pronghorn hunts memorable, not the size of the horns.
Looking forward to an update!!

AT Hiker

Good luck to ya buddy. Kill whatever makes you happy. The stalk and the shot were what made my Pronghorn hunts memorable, not the size of the horns.
Looking forward to an update!!
Man oh man are you one wise man! This hunt ranks in the top of my antelope hunts, probably #2 behind the one when my wife and 9 month old daughter tagged along. I've learned that some high point units aren't all about horn size, it's about endless opportunities.
Once I get done butchering this prairie lobster I'll give the update.

backyardtndeer

Man oh man are you one wise man! This hunt ranks in the top of my antelope hunts, probably #2 behind the one when my wife and 9 month old daughter tagged along. I've learned that some high point units aren't all about horn size, it's about endless opportunities.
Sounds like congratulations are in order. Will have to check back for a story and pics.

bigtex

Sounds like congratulations are in order. Will have to check back for a story and pics.
Unfortunately it's been several years since my last Antelope hunt with my Grandson. I posted it on here but it's been so long ago it would be hard to find.
Was a great hunt and time well spent one on one with my Grandson. I'll always cherish the memory.
Didn't want to hijack AT's thread so I messaged ya with a link to my hunt.

Last edited:

ROVERBOY

I'd love to hunt antelope in Wyoming but, hate the hoops they make you jump through. I wish you could just buy a tag and license.

megalomaniac

Dang, you still packing him out? Getting weak in your older age? :)

Latest posts