Wyoming 2023 Hunt Forecast

Buzzard Breath

That was a good detailed report on the separate regions. It sounds like elk made it through the winter in pretty good shape. Next year may be a good year to cash in my elk points. Thanks for posting.

tellico4x4

If you're there in September I could probably put you to work by helping me pack my bull out. I can't expect @ATHiker to carry all of it. :D
That's when I plan on being there. Probably leave here Labor Day & stay the month. Keep in touch & I'll be glad to join/help. Afraid my days of packing elk on back were over about 20 years ago, might could manage to carry your bow & the backstrap😁. I do make a pretty good camp hand, can cook, keep fire hot & beer cold.

Last edited:

Buzzard Breath

That's when I plan on being there. Probably leave here Labor Day & stay the month. Keep in touch & I'll be glad to join/help. Afraid my days of packing elk on back were over about 20 years ago, might could manage to carry your bow & the backstrap😁. I do make a pretty good camp hand, can cook, keep fire hot & beer cold.
I definitely will be in touch. I spend time stomping around Laurel Hill, so it wouldn't be anything for me to head down another county and shoot the breeze with you about our plans sometime when you're at your lease.

Buzzard Breath

I hear @AT Hiker is fragile and is only good for holding the camera 🤣
He tries. I've watched him flopping around like a fish out of water for about 45 minutes just trying to get to his feet. "My gun's too heavy" was the first thing out of his mouth when he finally got up. :D That's the first I've ever heard of that excuse.

15440731359_bfc15829dd_c.jpg

AT Hiker

I drove from Cheyenne to Rawlins, down to Saratoga and back towards Rawlins, then to Riverton. Less than 200 antelope spotted from interstate/Hwy. I drove through the heart of some solid blue chip units and seen very few antelope and the biggest bucks being average.
Drive from Riverton to the Tetons then back to Lander. Seen a few more but still dismal.

I'm headed to my unit tomorrow to scout. I'm optimistic but reality is I normally see thousands of antelope on the same drive I just did but seen less than 200 this year. Herds were tiny as well. I know it's the rut and water likely has them spread out but this trip isn't looking good for Southern WY antelope.

AT Hiker

Spent the entire day in my unit. Roads a little wet, so traveling too far into unit wasn't conducive. However, every antelope I seen was practically off the paved road. I hiked a couple miles to a few vantage points, no antelope…but let me drive down the paved roads and I see them.
They seemed concentrated to the NW corner for whatever reason. Anyways, I counted a conservative 135 animals with approximately 20% of them bucks. That's a pile of antelope but I also know it's a fraction of what that unit used to hold.
I only seen 2 that made me stop and give them a hard look over. Most had good height and decent mass but their cutters are weak. I think that's a sign of a harsh winter.
I'm going to give the roads another day to dry. Hopefully go back Friday to check out the east side of the unit.

I felt like a state trooper glassing off the paved road. Especially in my black car😂

IMG_3352.jpeg

OldFussNFeathers

I drove from Cheyenne to Rawlins, down to Saratoga and back towards Rawlins, then to Riverton. Less than 200 antelope spotted from interstate/Hwy. I drove through the heart of some solid blue chip units and seen very few antelope and the biggest bucks being average.
Drive from Riverton to the Tetons then back to Lander. Seen a few more but still dismal.

I'm headed to my unit tomorrow to scout. I'm optimistic but reality is I normally see thousands of antelope on the same drive I just did but seen less than 200 this year. Herds were tiny as well. I know it's the rut and water likely has them spread out but this trip isn't looking good for Southern WY antelope.
Good luck. Leaving for Colorado tm

OldFussNFeathers

Good luck & hope you have a great trip. Dates should be good. Haven't paid much attention to moon but should be getting smaller which is best to curtail night activity. 10-19 is historically my best dates bow hunts in CO.
Thank you! Seen where the 12th is magic time but it appears your are correct on those dates from what I've researched. I'm just excited to get away for a few weeks and do something I've always dreamed of.

Hduke86

Spent the entire day in my unit. Roads a little wet, so traveling too far into unit wasn't conducive. However, every antelope I seen was practically off the paved road. I hiked a couple miles to a few vantage points, no antelope…but let me drive down the paved roads and I see them.
They seemed concentrated to the NW corner for whatever reason. Anyways, I counted a conservative 135 animals with approximately 20% of them bucks. That's a pile of antelope but I also know it's a fraction of what that unit used to hold.
I only seen 2 that made me stop and give them a hard look over. Most had good height and decent mass but their cutters are weak. I think that's a sign of a harsh winter.
I'm going to give the roads another day to dry. Hopefully go back Friday to check out the east side of the unit.

I felt like a state trooper glassing off the paved road. Especially in my black car😂

View attachment 194267
Next thing we know you'll be using these "moves" in fancy gated neighborhoods for deer hunting🤣. Good luck brother hope you spot a great goat and plenty of opportunities

Latest posts