WY Antelope DIY Area 23

AT Hiker

I never post pics or reports on public forums (except FB), but I did all my research on public forums for this hunt so I wanted to share this picture and notes of my recent WY DIY Antelope hunt. I will spare you a long story, just quick facts and some FYI as I usually write a blog and if I chose to do so on this hunt I will post a link. If you decide on a left over tag please take this into consideration.

-This hunt took place in area 23, I bought a left over tag early Sept. Area 23 is very limited access for public land and what public land is there is not antelope country, here is a hint..."hunt the blue sections on your map"! Or fork over the cash and pay a trespass fee if you plan early enough.

-I hunted very hard for 4 straight days, on the 3rd day I was able to put on two stalks on two different herds, both stalks were blown. These animals on this pressured public land are "SPOOKY".

-On the fourth day I spotted this lone buck on a section of state land in the southern part of the area, the stalk was on. You could see the goat and my orange hat from the road, I would guess I was 300+ yards off the road. 300 yards in WY is like 5 feet in TN! I headed the buck off in a drainage with the wind in my face and the sun at my back. I crawled to the top of a rise and spotted him, he was facing me with no suitable shot. Then the horns started honking. The tourist and anti-hunters spotted me and him and put two and two together, they were on his side. It was fast forward motion now...I decided he was a shooter and waited for him to turn. Which he did and the 7mm at 180 yards put him down quick.

-This hunt was full of high's and low's, mainly due to the fact of the VERY limited public land. I knew this going into the hunt. I am all about the hunt, the kill and "trophy" aspect is subjective, which is irrelevant for this topic.

-This pronghorn will be enjoyed as great table fare by myself, my wife, and friends. In addition I will make the memories last and pay respect to Gods great creation by preserving it as a pedestals mount and including the muley sheds in the habitat (I do my own taxi work).

-This is my third pronghorn and my second biggest as far as B&C is concerned, but he is #1 in my book. For those concerned he will push 70" or a tad over, his mass is his greatest factor.

This pic was taken after field dressing, my camera and tripod were in the truck and walking back was out of the question.

IMG_4028_zpsfb8accc1.jpg

Here are some of the sheds I found while hunting hard for the speedsters, I did see a 145" muley but saved my tag on him. As I am headed North to hunt a private ranch. Would have been a tough decision but I already paid for the trespass fee.
photo_zps829f6714.jpg

I would be glad to help anyone with any questions on a DIY WY hunt.

DaveB

Great hunt. Very surprised at the horn honking.

Trespass fees are thre norm out west, or used to be, question is finding the places that'll do that. How did you find the Wyoming place?

AT Hiker

The antelope hunt was purely public land. You can call the local chamber of commerce or the fish and wildlife to get a list of landowners that allow trespass fees. However you must contact them soon after the draw to secure a spot.

If you plan early enough I would not pay a fee for goats, plenty of good areas to draw with decent to good public access.

Cost for trespass fees can range from $100 per day to even $1000 fee plus a trophy fee! I would never do that.

IMO time is the biggest factor, if your very limited on time a trespass fee makes sense. If not and with good planning you can hunt deer and antelope on public land and have a decent chance of killing.

Time has expired to buy preference points this year, but the point system is a great thing about WY. You can still hunt every year on a second choice tag and still build points. Then draw those "trophy" tags for awesome areas.

Overall cost is relative because of gas to get here and back. I camp most if the time to save. Obvisouly the more people the cheaper. I would guess around $600 in tags, gas, and misc cost for the goat hunt. You will use lots of gas in the great West..trust me.

AT Hiker

Thats my figure for the antelope, thats not including gas back home yet either. Im splitting that with a buddy who flew out here to hunt with me this week.

The total for both will be much higher of course. I also piggy backed this trip with a trip to Yellowstone with my wife, so i will not know ALL cost until I get back and break up receipts. So forgive me if my conservative estimates are off a little. Im very cheap on lodging and food.

I honestly feel comfortable saying $1000.00 for a DIY public land pronghorn hunt is very doable in WY, as long as you are conservative with food and lodging. I camped and ate out of my truck the entire time.

ROVERBOY

Thats not bad for a Antelope hunt. Nice one by the way, congratulations. I've been wanting to do the same thing for a long time. Maybe someday.

Latest posts