WY Corner Crossing Now Legal

AT Hiker

My brain isn't working enough this morning to comprehend that article. Too many districts, courts and appeals for me 😅

I am glad to see that big money and power lost the attempt to over rule common sense. Definitely a step in the right direction.

However, I still don't trust the public too much right now. Meaning, if you are going to corner cross you must be fully aware of that corner. Onx will not cut it, I need a hard pin or at a bare minimum some type of signage that marks it.

Also, I'd be lying if I didn't feel a little bit of happiness for the landowner loosing. He single handily ruined his own ranch, likely devalued the outfitters in the area, devalued the inflated land prices and most definitely ticked off his neighbor who gets to deal with the fallout too.
I suspect he doesn't have many WY friends anymore.

Anyways, time to research the local antelope unit 😎

Last edited:

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Be careful reading that corner crossing is now "legal." There still is no WY statute stating either way if it is legal or not. In THIS case the defendants were found not guilty of trespassing based upon the circumstances present and the evidence presented. That ruling was appealed and stood. Then the civil case started and is still underway.

EVERYDAY JOES COULD NOT AFFORD THESE LEGAL FEES OR TIME OFF OF WORK FOR COURT CASES AND ATTORNEYS CHARGES. They were helped by numerous fundraisers by hunters (I donated to the cause) who believed in this cause. I would HOPE that you would be that fortunate as to gain that support, but there is no GUARANTEE.

So even though you may not face jail time in the end, you still may be out of pocket more than your net worth. I would definitely wait to hear the end of this case before I corner crossed across any multibillionaires' property adjacencies. Especially an NC billionaire who made his money in pharmaceuticals and feels that he can buy out the west.

megalomaniac

Be careful reading that corner crossing is now "legal." There still is no WY statute stating either way if it is legal or not. In THIS case the defendants were found not guilty of trespassing based upon the circumstances present and the evidence presented. That ruling was appealed and stood. Then the civil case started and is still underway.

EVERYDAY JOES COULD NOT AFFORD THESE LEGAL FEES OR TIME OFF OF WORK FOR COURT CASES AND ATTORNEYS CHARGES. They were helped by numerous fundraisers by hunters (I donated to the cause) who believed in this cause. I would HOPE that you would be that fortunate as to gain that support, but there is no GUARANTEE.

So even though you may not face jail time in the end, you still may be out of pocket more than your net worth. I would definitely wait to hear the end of this case before I corner crossed across any multibillionaires' property adjacencies. Especially an NC billionaire who made his money in pharmaceuticals and feels that he can buy out the west.
This exactly.

It is now officially legal to corner cross in the eyes of superior courts... it is not a crime, and you will not be prosecuted.

That being said, the civil matter is far from being sorted out. If you are caught corner crossing, you can still be sued in civil court for supppsed damage causing 'devaluation' of the landowners property. Until that civil presidence is set and absolves corner crossers from any potential liability from theoretical devaluation of the surrounding private land, I would be very, very careful about thinking you can corner cross without consequence.

The wardens for that particular GMU will know the landowner ranchers and which ones will allow you to corner cross without repercussions and which ranchers are going to push the issue. And don't expect to be granted permission to retrieve/ pursue a wounded animal that makes it back onto private.depending on state.

backyardtndeer

Don't know if I will ever get to hunt Wyoming again, but I would still have to respect the landowner and ask.

Not sure what typical trespass fees are running now, think it was $300 on the 60 or so thousand acre ranch I took my oldest daughter to hunt on back in 2010. That rancher passed away a couple years ago, and I lost the contact I had for him.

DeerCamp

"This was deliberative and provocative conduct with the apparent intent to force criminal prosecution or civil litigation that would trigger a test case to push their legal theories in court," the Montana brief states.

You damn right.

Latest posts