Wish I was in high school,range shift ?

BSK

Andy S.

Logic says bucks will go to the does. However, in real-world studies, we just don't see that. Even on properties where does are being shot unmercifully and surrounding properties where they are not being shot, if bucks have sanctuary from hunting pressure bucks do not leave the low doe density properties. In fact, they will GAIN older bucks as the season progresses.

This suggests that at least some older bucks find sanctuary from hunting pressure more important than access to a lot of does.

Andy S.

BSK said:
Andy S.

Logic says bucks will go to the does. However, in real-world studies, we just don't see that. Even on properties where does are being shot unmercifully and surrounding properties where they are not being shot, if bucks have sanctuary from hunting pressure bucks do not leave the low doe density properties. In fact, they will GAIN older bucks as the season progresses.

This suggests that at least some older bucks find sanctuary from hunting pressure more important than access to a lot of does.

I agree...this is yet another example that the right "habitat" (i.e cover) is king, especially with mature bucks.

Football Hunter

BSK said:
Football Hunter said:
When would the latest in range shifting occur?

Normally, two big range-shifts occur during hunting season. The first occurs around mid to late September. This is the shift associated with buck bachelor groups breaking up and bucks all going their separate ways. The second shift occur just before the rut. In my area, this shift occurs right around November 1st. Now part of this rut-associated surge in "new" bucks appearing is an actual range-shift, but most of it is associated with bucks simply expanding their normal range to come into contact with as many doe social groups as possible. Bucks that normally don't cross your hunting property suddenly do as they expand their range. These bucks usually stay in their expanded range patterns only 4-6 weeks and then return to their normal range post-rut.

In a good acorn year, with predominantly hardwood properties that have agriculture nearby, it's not at all uncommon to see a smattering of new bucks appear scattered across October, as ag fields are harvested and bucks shift ranges into the hardwoods to access acorns.
Well,hope that last range shift occurs,checked cams Sunday night,last night,same bunch of small bucks,not much I can do but stay out for a while I think.

BSK

I picked up my first rut range-expander October 28th. Right on schedule. I expect to pick up 5 or 6 more over the next two weeks.

Latest posts