Delayed seasonal range shift

3F2E1BB8-FECF-4213-AB65-4851ED22DA03.jpeg

This was yesterday

BSK

I'm still picking up new bucks, but not at the rate I was. I will pick up a few new ones until at least mid-November. And as of this week, I've hit an all-time high in number of unique bucks on cam. A truly special year!

BSK

Haven't picked up a new buck of any age since Nov. 13th, which is odd. I usually pick up a couple of stragglers post-rut. But so far, not this year.

megalomaniac

I haven't picked up any new mature bucks, but I have had a couple decent 3.5yos that were on 1 farm back in summer shift off, and have now returned.

Rockhound

This is the first year that I can remember, that we have not had any new mature bucks show up. I have 1 4.5 yr old and 1 5.5 year old on cam and that's it. It's very concerning. I'm hoping the acorn crop just has them concentrated and not having to move like normal, because I also have not seen the doe and fawn numbers like normal either. Usually some great deer show up from now to February so I'm holding onto hope.

BSK

This is the first year that I can remember, that we have not had any new mature bucks show up. I have 1 4.5 yr old and 1 5.5 year old on cam and that's it. It's very concerning.
Are you saying you saw no seasonal range shift? How big of a property?

We observed the most extreme seasonal range shift we've ever seen. We came out of the summer with exactly four velvet bucks using our property: 2 yearlings, one 2 1/2 year-old, and one 3 1/2 year-old. As of the last camera check, we've picked up 49 different bucks using the property from antler velvet shedding until now. Never seen anything like it. However, we had more bucks using the property in October than November, which is rare, but always happens in a bumper acorn year when peak breeding gets pushed as early as possible, like it was this year.

Rockhound

We observed the most extreme seasonal range shift we've ever seen. We came out of the summer with exactly four velvet bucks using our property: 2 yearlings, one 2 1/2 year-old, and one 3 1/2 year-old. As of the last camera check, we've picked up 49 different bucks using the property from antler velvet shedding until now. Never seen anything like it. However, we had more bucks using the property in October than November, which is rare, but always happens in a bumper acorn year when peak breeding gets pushed as early as possible, like it was this year.
For 3.5+ yr old deer, yes. We've not picked up anything new since September. 300 acres.

Rockhound

In September we generally get a shift as deer start to move from the surrounding ag land. I generally get new bucks showing up all season long though as drawn out as our rut is here. There is usually a shift in September, in mid November, you will see some new ones that may or may not hang around, first couple weeks of December- February is usually when the bigger deer show up.

Latest posts