Delayed seasonal range shift

DoubleRidge

I wish I could pinpoint the reason we saw such massive antler growth per age-class last year. Honestly, I can't pin it to anything. But it doesn't look like it will be repeated this year. So far, everything looking average for their age.

I remember last year you mentioning this....and it's the fact that it was observed across each age class that makes it so interesting.

JCDEERMAN

I listened to a recent video from Dr Grant (yes listened to it while driving to work) video pertained to managing does on your property....but I thought about you, JCDeerman and others in Hickman and Perry County.....he stated that 2 to 3 years following a Major EHD outbreak can be an excellent time to see bucks that have reached their full potential....with the thought being that with the drastic herd reduction the available food source's are abundant...so the bucks that do survive the outbreak really get their full nutritional needs met.... obviously a Major EHD outbreak isn't something we want to see....but if (or when) it happens, this is a positive spin that I hadn't thought of before.....the video is one of the newer ones he has listed ....check it out.
I searched and found that video last night - thanks for the heads up on it. Very encouraging video. They've had good forage for growth since the die off, but hardly any acorns until this year. I can see many changes this year compare to the past two (2019 and 2020). Many more does and fawns, and we have three 3.5+ year olds still hanging around. That's three times more than we had last year at this time 🤣. I believe only one is mature, possibly two. Can't wait to see what shows up. We typically have around 8-12 what we consider shooters each year, but haven't seen those numbers since 2018. Adding 11 more acres of food should attract something this fall and hold a few more that may otherwise range shift off of us.

TheLBLman

FINALLY observed the beginnings of the annual range shift. New deer started appearing on cam Sept. 28. That's about 2 weeks late for my place. But new deer are flooding in now. Some of this may be due to late planting and late harvesting of crops in the adjacent bottomlands.
And some (maybe much) of this may be due to a good acorn crop in your woods,
whereas there are relatively few hardwoods in much the surrounding areas?

Right now, we have some really great cultivated food plots coming on strong, yet the deer are largely ignoring these lush green plots of clovers, brassicas, oats & wheat. Instead, they're hardly coming out of the woods, where they're gorging themselves on fresh falling acorns.

BSK

And some (maybe much) of this may be due to a good acorn crop in your woods,
whereas there are relatively few hardwoods in much the surrounding areas?

Right now, we have some really great cultivated food plots coming on strong, yet the deer are largely ignoring these lush green plots of clovers, brassicas, oats & wheat. Instead, they're hardly coming out of the woods, where they're gorging themselves on fresh falling acorns.
Actually, in a good acorn year, the range shift is usually the earliest of all, starting about Sept 15. This year, the 28th. Strange the delay considering the corn crop. Again, probably due to the very late crop harvesting in my area. Tens of thousands of acres of corn and soybeans in the bottomlands is a pretty strong draw, as well as the cover the standing corn provides.

JCDEERMAN

I listened to a recent video from Dr Grant (yes listened to it while driving to work) video pertained to managing does on your property....but I thought about you, JCDeerman and others in Hickman and Perry County.....he stated that 2 to 3 years following a Major EHD outbreak can be an excellent time to see bucks that have reached their full potential....with the thought being that with the drastic herd reduction the available food source's are abundant...so the bucks that do survive the outbreak really get their full nutritional needs met.... obviously a Major EHD outbreak isn't something we want to see....but if (or when) it happens, this is a positive spin that I hadn't thought of before.....the video is one of the newer ones he has listed ....check it out.
Does as well. Look at these fat and healthy critters

does.png

BSK

Finally starting to see some "new" older bucks showing up. Started strong Oct. 12. That's almost a month late.

JCDEERMAN

Finally starting to see some "new" older bucks showing up. Started strong Oct. 12. That's almost a month late.
Interesting. That's the same exact date the buck with the palmated rack I posted in another thread showed up. He's been gone since December.

BSK

Picked up several new older bucks between Oct 12 and 16. I'll see if that continued beyond the 16th when I check cameras this weekend.

BSK

I sure hope this year isn't an anomaly, but I've never seen anything like how many bucks I'm picking up on cam. I'm at near record levels already and we haven't hit the normal peak time for new bucks to appear (first week of November). I just hope it doesn't mean a very early rut.

megalomaniac

I sure hope this year isn't an anomaly, but I've never seen anything like how many bucks I'm picking up on cam. I'm at near record levels already and we haven't hit the normal peak time for new bucks to appear (first week of November). I just hope it doesn't mean a very early rut.
I bet that is more a function of your logging and putting more sunlight on the forest floor. If you build it, they will come!

rukiddin

I have not seen a buck on my place since February. It's not unusual to never see a buck spring and summer but last 2 years in a row, 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 yo bucks started showing up early-mid October and last year, first mature deer showed up Halloween evening. I have not seen even a spike this year. Not really concerned, I have several does I see daily but it is kinda odd this year that I haven't even seen a young buck yet.

BSK

I have not seen a buck on my place since February. It's not unusual to never see a buck spring and summer but last 2 years in a row, 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 yo bucks started showing up early-mid October and last year, first mature deer showed up Halloween evening. I have not seen even a spike this year. Not really concerned, I have several does I see daily but it is kinda odd this year that I haven't even seen a young buck yet.
That is odd rukiddin. Was there any major habitat change in the area between last year and this year?

rukiddin

That is odd rukiddin. Was there any major habitat change in the area between last year and this year?
No. I know there's some bucks somewhere or somewhat close. Saw several nice deer late january/feb come through and stay a couple days then be gone. I'm not overly concerned about the bigger/older deer not showing up. Years past, week before and week of thanksgiving has been when I always saw the most chasing. Odd thing this year is not seeing any younger bucks show up. There were 4 or 5 that stayed around all season and into February last year, so I'd think they'd be showing up or at least passing through.

redblood

Where do you live rukiddin? Thats crazy.

rukiddin

Where do you live rukiddin? Thats crazy.
Sevierville.

It's funny, I posted that last Monday. Last Wednesday, a little 3 point showed up, the next day, a little 5 point showed up and last night, a decent 8 point (for here) showed up.
DA60F1B4-7952-4572-8B15-5606DC0E05AD.jpeg

Latest posts