Breakthrough in blight resistant American chestnuts

dg7080

I have several Americans growing in containers. I hatched them last winter from nuts sent to me from the chestnut foundation.

I am to plant them in a test grove on my farm this winter and when the transgenic tree is approved, hopefully next year, they will supply me one to plant in the grove to cross pollinate with the pure American in hopes that a percentage of the offspring will be blight free.

We shall see...

Last edited:

JCDEERMAN

I would plant hundreds.
Same here.
I have several Americans growing in containers. I hatched them last winter from nuts sent to me from the chestnut foundation.

I am to plant them in a test grove on my farm this winter and when the transgenic tree is approved, hopefully next year, they will supply me one to plant in the grove to cross pollinate with the pure American in hopes that a percentage of the offspring will be blight free.

We shall see...
The American Chestnut Foundation sent me 10 to grow from nuts last year. They came up to about 12", then died. I have a fairly good green thumb, but not one survived. Was kind on bummed.

dg7080

Same here.

The American Chestnut Foundation sent me 10 to grow from nuts last year. They came up to about 12", then died. I have a fairly good green thumb, but not one survived. Was kind on bummed.
I had several die too, but have 4 survivors. They are about 15 inches or so tall. I plan on putting them out next month... I planted them in a mix of some cheap potting soil and soil from the farm here. Hopefully they will survive the transplant into their new home on the hill..

JCDEERMAN

If the new transgenic tree project works, it will be years or decades before the forest would be once again home to the mature American chestnuts. But hopefully my grandkids and great grandkids will get to sit under their shade someday...
And that's what it's all about. I'm 39, so I'd love to plant many of them and hopefully atleast be able to see them produce in my later years.

Latest posts