winter smallmouth in creeks

catman529

2 fish I have been wanting to figure out how to catch in the winter, before it warms up and gets easy to catch em. Smallmouth and carp... I know the smallies will be a lot easier. I hear a lot about small jigs, tube jigs, etc. This is creek fishing so current is a factor. What type of structure and/or cover, and current do you fish around and what is your lure of choice for smallmouth in the winter? The carp, I will try and figure that out myself. All I catch is largemouth and the occasional spot. They are great because they are an easy way to keep your line tight when other fish won't bite, but they can get a bit boring after a while and I would prefer smallmouth if I am bass fishing. I might venture to wade one of our creeks here soon if it's warm enough to wear some shorts. thanks for any tips

SilverFox

In a creek for smallmouth it's location, location, location. The same baits can be used to catch both. Faster moving water... Like over rocks or trees is where I usually catch them. Don't overlook throwing a weightless fluke into current.

In-line spinners like a rooster tail or panther Martin work well also. They are my first choice this time of year.

catman529

Thanks. I was catching largemouth in a pond on a big rooster tail recently. So for the smallies you look for the faster current? During the summer I was catching em fairly well on a weightless fluke.

bone_cave

I like throwing a mepps #4 squirrel tale into current keep line tight so you don't snag them dang rocks...I have caught a lot of good smallmouth in current like this. Summertime I only use 6" watermelon lizard!! Them bronze backs can't refuse it;)

SES

I'd find the deepest water in the creek and tie on a 1/32 oz fly and the smallest bobber I could get away with. The float and fly works great on the rivers I fish in the winter. I don't see why it wouldn't work in a creek

Latest posts