Why would you need a yeti.

Nsghunter

I looked at yeti coolers recently and they are definitely really cool, but why would you need one?
We rarely camp but occasionally use a cooler when we travel in the car. I'm sure they have a niche in the market I'm just not seeing it.

red_top_ridge

I don't own one, although I hear they're really good. Don't know if I'll ever buy one as I just can't seem to convince myself to pay that much for a cooler, even if they may be great and worth every penny.

gtk

Staff member
Nsghunter":2jwt9vyu said:
I looked at yeti coolers recently and they are definitely really cool, but why would you need one?
We rarely camp but occasionally use a cooler when we travel in the car. I'm sure they have a niche in the market I'm just not seeing it.
Doesn't sound like you need one. :)

They are great for keeping things cold for longer periods. We uses ROTO molded coolers when we go elk hunting. I use a smaller ROTO molded cooler to throw the fish in, when crappie fishing in the hot summer time. The soft sided coolers are nice to keep drinks in the car, especially when driving 19 hours across the country.

it just all depends on what you want.

WG3

for most one day outings they are not needed. Where they are nice is when your going on long trips or out camping or hunting for a long period of time. When I went to Montana this year, we took both a yeti and an RTIC. Both worked really well and made it where we did not have to stop for ice as much since it was up into the 60s. The main thing that I have learned with the roto molded coolers is that weight is everything, if they are light, they will not keep as cold.

Bwales95

If they're anywhere near as good as their coffee cups, I'd like to get one. My Yeti coffee cup stays warm for hours after making a cup.

Ridgewalker1

To rich for my blood. My coleman extreme works great. I can quarter 2 deer and holds ice for 6 days easy. Only 54 bucks at Walmart. I have no doubt yeti is better but not 400 dollars better.

LanceS4803

I saw a video recently of them testing yeti and canyon coolers, 35 and 55s, I think. (I have a canyon 110)
They were tossing them full of ice and drinks off the back of a truck going 60mph down the road.
I'm not a yeti fan, but I have to admit that I was impressed with the absolute abuse their coolers took!

Gravey

I have 2 orcas and 2 RTIC (1 is hard sided and 1 soft sided). Would buy the RTIC's over any of them for the price. I didn't pay full price for either orca. If not going for extended days and throwing them around your truck bed where they take abuse you don't need the roto molded coolers no matter the brand. My Coleman extreme has been awesome for many years but I rarely use it these days. Only knock against it is the lid doesn't have a way to lock which I'm sure you could rig up. The key to all of them is to prechill them a day ahead of time.

ImThere

I would own one if I needed one they seem like fine coolers. Like others have said I don't camp enough to get value out of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon54

All of the higher priced coolers are clearly more efficient than a typical iglo. The advantage I see is in a smaller cooler, you could keep more food and drinks and need less ice, thus it's more efficient. If size isn't an issue, get a big cheap one and fill it up with ice.

TX300mag

Most of the people I know with Yeti coolers enjoy the status they feel it brings.

The rotomold coolers are definitely more durable, but unless you really beat yours up daily I don't think they justify the extra size/weight. As someone else said, a Coleman Xtreme is very close to (if not as) efficient for a fraction of the cost. I keep ice for weeks at a time in them during hunting season and days during the summer. I use the $1350 I saved by buying three of these for hunting and camping. :D

There are many options now that are much less expensive than Yeti (some aren't made in China either). I found some on clearance at Academy for $50 two weeks ago. After carrying a 22qt around the store for a few mins and comparing to a Coleman I put it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Team Browning

I've got 2 yeti's. They work as advertised and 'buy once - cry once' is a thing for me.

Why would I need it? I try not to justify what I want or what I buy with my money to strangers on the internet but my story for the first one I got is funny so I'll share.

Several years ago my wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday. Yeti had not been around long as a national brand and Yeti cups weren't a thing.

So for a combo birthday/anniversary/ father's day gift, I got a Yeti 45. Now, this wasn't a gimme. Much like your question, I had to write 3 reasons why I needed it. This was a fun thing not a real thing but I played along.

So OP, for you I bring back the 3 reasons why I needed a Yeti.

#1. There are people at our house that have medicine that must be kept refrigerated. If the power goes out, the Yeti saves the day.

#2. What if there was a heart transplant recipient nearby but their little workmate cooler was broken? I could save someone's life!

#3. What if there was a village in Alaska that needed medicine but it had to be kept from freezing while the dog team took it? Again, my Yet would save lives!

As you can see, I took it very seriously.

My 2nd Yeti is a 35. I bought it from a TNDeer member on the classified page. He'd won it at an NWTF banquet and was trying to recoup some of his money.

So I'll add one...

#4. Owning my Yeti promotes the preservation and conservation of habitat for one of the top game species in America.

Surely you can support that.

bowhunt25

Team Browning":1f81q9df said:
I've got 2 yeti's. They work as advertised and 'buy once - cry once' is a thing for me.

Why would I need it? I try not to justify what I want or what I buy with my money to strangers on the internet but my story for the first one I got is funny so I'll share.

Several years ago my wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday. Yeti had not been around long as a national brand and Yeti cups weren't a thing.

So for a combo birthday/anniversary/ father's day gift, I got a Yeti 45. Now, this wasn't a gimme. Much like your question, I had to write 3 reasons why I needed it. This was a fun thing not a real thing but I played along.

So OP, for you I bring back the 3 reasons why I needed a Yeti.

#1. There are people at our house that have medicine that must be kept refrigerated. If the power goes out, the Yeti saves the day.

#2. What if there was a heart transplant recipient nearby but their little workmate cooler was broken? I could save someone's life!

#3. What if there was a village in Alaska that needed medicine but it had to be kept from freezing while the dog team took it? Again, my Yet would save lives!

As you can see, I took it very seriously.

My 2nd Yeti is a 35. I bought it from a TNDeer member on the classified page. He'd won it at an NWTF banquet and was trying to recoup some of his money.

So I'll add one...

#4. Owning my Yeti promotes the preservation and conservation of habitat for one of the top game species in America.

Surely you can support that.

WHAT he said !!!!!

Crosshairy

I've won 2 of them (a hard-sided and a soft-sided) at fundraisers for the Boy Scouts (both were 5+ years ago). One I sold on here, another on Craigslist I think.

At the time, I wanted the 200-250 bucks I made off of them more than I wanted a soft-sided cooler.

In general, I go places where I need something to stay cold for the duration of a single day. I haven't been tent camping in years, so it hasn't been a thing that I've cared about or thought I needed.

That said, there is a big difference in performance between a cheap igloo cooler and a roto-molded one with much more insulation. If you don't need to keep stuff cold for a long time OR you will have a steady supply of ice to supplement your stash, then it isn't really needed.

In my case, I sold the coolers and put the money towards other hunting and fishing gear that I would actually use, so that was a good decision that I don't regret. I have considered buying one of the lower-priced coolers (e.g. RTI or Orca) if the need arises in the future, but so far I don't think it's a big deal. I still use cheap Igloo coolers, one of which I've upgraded the hinge from the hardware store to improve its strength.

Latest posts