Why are they like that?

NewHuntr

First time posting here "i think" i have a question concerning places to hunt. I moved to Tenn in 2010 and have ask several people that i know of that deer hunt in this state where they went or if they know of a place to go,Thats where the issue start. For some reason it seems like a secret that only they can know or they just straight up lie to me. I had triple bypass heart surgery in Oct. 2013 and i have made some promises to my self since that happened. I would love to hunt some where in this state. Public/lease land locations is what i am asking for. Thank you for reading and perhaps helping. Rifle hunt btw

scn

All of the public hunting areas are listed in the TWRA Hunting Guide. They are found in the the back of the Guide under our Wildlife Management Area system. There is a map showing the locations, and then regional listings with the regulations on those WMAs. Those guides are available at license agents and there is an online version linked to the TWRA website.

Lease lands are a private deal between hunters and landowners. There is not an agency link to any lease land.

shane37110

I can explain the private land/lease issue for you. Private/lease land is scarce as gold laying on the ground, many people who have a spot have worked hard to cultivate a relationship with the land owner to have access to that area. Many owners are hesitant to allow new people on thier place so when I have someone ask about hunting on my place, I have to really know and trust this person before letting him in. I have a nice 2000 acre lease with a coworker of mine and some guys I used to work with. Just yesterday another coworker, who I don't trust to take care of things as he should, brought up hunting with me next year. My response, "Sorry, we are full-up".
I don't know you, but either you just haven't taken the time to really get to know other hunters you work with and otherwise know and gain thier trust or you are regarded as a knucklehead. No offense intended but thats what it pretty well boils down to. Cultivate those relationships, its not about hunting all the time, have a few cookouts, invite them to go to the gunshow or a ballgame. Personal relationships is what tips the scales in your favor. Good luck finding a spot!

Biggun4214

"Friends" will root you out of a hunting spot as well. My middle son has found that out the hard way.

pressfit

Dove hunting is worse than deer.. I have had a life long friend friend.. flat out lie to me about a dove hunting spot.. I lost a lot of respect of him after that..

Nsghunter

I agree with ya newhuntr, I have a very large family that hunt ad they always offer to let me join in with the hunting an share their spots. I never took them up On the offer and I moved to Maryville.

Now I talk to people and they all two answers 1. I hunt public land or 2. I have a private lease.

I can agree with people also. Everyone has a different interpretation of what's right and wrong or what is acceptable. I know a fellow that wanted me to share a lease and always hunt with him.

Problem is he has no regard for the law. And I disagree with his hunting practices completely. I'm not going to blow the guy off completely but I avoid hunting with him like the plague though.

I hunt public land. Don't be discouraged. Hunting is about the pursuit. Instead if animals I attempt to enjoy the pursuit of finding a goof hunting location.

If you are real desperate you can find hunting leases online. There are companies that specialize in that. For a price.

Otherwise,
Shane37110 had the best advice, finding a hunting partner is like finding a wife, lol. Takes awhile and requires a lot of give and take with a great deal searching one another. Sounds weird but it's how it is.

Buccaneer

Go to Cheatham WMA and hunt the remainder of small game season. Scout while the leaves are down. Go to the check station and talk to the WMA Manager, Randy Cromer. He's a great guy and will help you out. He did for me when I moved here in 1998 with young kids, at that time, and we have been very successful deer and turkey hunting the property.

BigPete357

Go to Cheatham WMA and hunt the remainder of small game season. Scout while the leaves are down. Go to the check station and talk to the WMA Manager, Randy Cromer. He's a great guy and will help you out. He did for me when I moved here in 1998 with young kids, at that time, and we have been very successful deer and turkey hunting the property.

good advice

Latest posts