Why unit L 3 antlerless a day?

Speedwell-Hunter

Why unit L 3 antlerless a day in gun season but unit B for example is one anterless all season? Huge difference

Unit C and unit D are the same as unit B

Thanks

scn

Huge difference in the deer density for the different units. Units B, C, and D could not withstand the Unit L antlerless limits.

The three per day was an attempt to give managers the ability to meet their harvest objectives in a limited timeframe if needed. It is pretty well self regulating.

Speedwell-Hunter

Huge difference in the deer density for the different units. Units B, C, and D could not withstand the Unit L antlerless limits.

The three per day was an attempt to give managers the ability to meet their harvest objectives in a limited timeframe if needed. It is pretty well self regulating.
they have that many more deer huh? that is wild

TNlandowner

I'm in unit L and our deer population has taken a major hit since the regulations changed to three doe per day. Three years ago, we quit shooting does on our farm as we went from seeing 15 - 20 deer a day down to none or maybe 1-2. The deer were here, but were nocturnal.

In 2006, we had a wildlife biologist and state forester assess our property. We didn't have over-browsing or other deer density issues.

I would love to see the harvest number match other units, but that is unlikely with CWD in neighboring counties.

Jcalder

I'm in unit L and our deer population has taken a major hit since the regulations changed to three doe per day. Three years ago, we quit shooting does on our farm as we went from seeing 15 - 20 deer a day down to none or maybe 1-2. The deer were here, but were nocturnal.

In 2006, we had a wildlife biologist and state forester assess our property. We didn't have over-browsing or other deer density issues.

I would love to see the harvest number match other units, but that is unlikely with CWD in neighboring counties.
I'd be happy to see 1-2 deer a day. I've sat more times than I could ever count and not seen a deer. Sucks with the regulations they way they are a handful of people could be pretty hard on the local herd

TboneD

they have that many more deer huh? that is wild
3 antlerless deer a day all the regular season long IS crazy when compared to most other southern state limits that also have high population densities.

Rest assured that nothing is arbitrary, though, when you have a politically appointed commission making the rules. Insurance companies are happy, those with the $$ to manage large tracts are happy….so it's a win for everybody. Right?

Not hardly. Heavily hunted areas under the Unit L limit, especially those that have also had EHD, even in not so recent years, don't have nearly the deer densities you'd think for such a liberal "limit."

RockMcL

Raise your hand if you know someone that has truly affected the deer population by shooting multiple deer/day, multiple days in the season.....
I had a neighboring hunt club that went crazy killing does for about 3 years. Something they thought they learned on TV or YouTube.

The does moved on my land at the start of every ML season and feed their massive food plots at night.

Miss the traffic but am okay with "normal" daytime densities.

RockMcL

The big cities are not the only populated areas that have stupid densities of deer standing around in anything resembling a field. Several towns in unit L I can think of are crazy fat on deer

philsanchez76

I hunt hard in unit L all season (40-60 sits per season) and ive only killed 2 deer in one day twice since I started hunting. It's not that common in my area. Sometimes I do think we made to much of dent on the deer heard and then turkey season comes around and I see nothing but deer!!

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
Raise your hand if you know someone that has truly affected the deer population by shooting multiple deer/day, multiple days in the season.....
Exactly. I don't know a single person that takes advantage of the liberal limit on a regular basis. Ive Killed 2 in one day a couple times but just killing 3 a day because i can is too much trouble!!

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
The problem is not that guys kill multiple per day, but that the "limit" says there is an unlimited resource available. This mentality tells everyone and their brother (and nephew and friend and uncle etc) to come shoot a deer. Ultimately TWRA is allowing does to be killed by everyone with a gun, and landowners are allowing it. Not good for the resource IMO.

RockMcL

The problem is not that guys kill multiple per day, but that the "limit" says there is an unlimited resource available. This mentality tells everyone and their brother (and nephew and friend and uncle etc) to come shoot a deer. Ultimately TWRA is allowing does to be killed by everyone with a gun, and landowners are allowing it. Not good for the resource IMO.
LANDOWNER
IMO, the landowner is the key. What the world does TWRA now about your or my property. In this case TWRA, correctly, let's the landowner set harvest limits and timing (within season). In middle TN, if one landowner puts too much pressure on the does, they just move. If a landowner overharvests they will hurt their use of the resource and either learn or not. If they don't learn, it really is not hurting the neighboring property as demonstrated by deer numbers in this region.

If you are in a lease situation and feel others in the lease doe harvests are hurting your opportunities, then it is a tough situation. This is an economic issue LOCALLY, on the lease, impacting the resource.

The only threat I see from TWRA on deer in unit L is what I consider ill advised CWD management, and no one is pushing back on that as far as I know. If you are walking/hunting in CWD areas and not cleaning/sanitizing your boots/gear before entering unaffected areas, IMO, you are a threat to the unaffected regions.

philsanchez76

LANDOWNER
IMO, the landowner is the key. What the world does TWRA now about your or my property. In this case TWRA, correctly, let's the landowner set harvest limits and timing (within season). In middle TN, if one landowner puts too much pressure on the does, they just move. If a landowner overharvests they will hurt their use of the resource and either learn or not. If they don't learn, it really is not hurting the neighboring property as demonstrated by deer numbers in this region.

If you are in a lease situation and feel others in the lease doe harvests are hurting your opportunities, then it is a tough situation. This is an economic issue LOCALLY, on the lease, impacting the resource.

The only threat I see from TWRA on deer in unit L is what I consider ill advised CWD management, and no one is pushing back on that as far as I know. If you are walking/hunting in CWD areas and not cleaning/sanitizing your boots/gear before entering unaffected areas, IMO, you are a threat to the unaffected regions.
Good point about the deer shifting if a land owner over harvests. I think the same is true on public. Very rare to see a bunch of deer in fields on public after gun opens. they learn real quick to only come out at night or spend most of their time on the neighboring private land

Speedwell-Hunter

That limit is set by the pros, the TWRA, and if they allow3 a day, take that limit if you can. Clearly there is an abundance of deer in that part of TN. Instead of complaining on the forum, consider yourself lucky if you live in yellow or purple:

1669986156391.png

3/day is a DREAM for us out east. enjoy the hunt and harvest dem deeerzzz BOIS!!

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
I occasionally take 2 deer in a day, have never taken 3. But I usually only shoot the 3-5 a deer a season I want for our freezer and quit shooting anything unless it is a huge racked deer and I have an antlered tag left. On occasion I will tag another doe for a member of the family or a friend above what I need. I say that to say, regardless of the limit, having some trigger control is on the individual hunter.

UpperTully

That limit is set by the pros, the TWRA, and if they allow3 a day, take that limit if you can. Clearly there is an abundance of deer in that part of TN. Instead of complaining on the forum, consider yourself lucky if you live in yellow or purple:

View attachment 158889

3/day is a DREAM for us out east. enjoy the hunt and harvest dem deeerzzz BOIS!!
The grass isn't always greener on the other side buddy.

Those purple and yellow zones aren't indicative of high density areas and I wouldn't place full trust in their decisions, the higher ups have made some real dumb decisions over the years. Lake, Dyer and Lauderdale Co were in bad shape and recovering from several high mortality rate floods when TWRA placed in them in Unit L. Those counties have never had, nor will they ever have the same densities as other Unit L counties.

Come hunt the purple zone, I can show you plenty of ground that is equivalent to the densities of East Tenn. You may see 5-10 deer in a season. In fact, Hardeman Co has seen such a decline that their harvest numbers are equivalent to 40 years ago.

Latest posts