Why unit L 3 antlerless a day?

Speedwell-Hunter

The grass isn't always greener on the other side buddy.

Those purple and yellow zones aren't indicative of high density areas and I wouldn't place full trust in their decisions, the higher ups have made some real dumb decisions over the years. Lake, Dyer and Lauderdale Co were in bad shape and recovering from several high mortality rate floods when TWRA placed in them in Unit L. Those counties have never had, nor will they ever have the same densities as other Unit L counties.

Come hunt the purple zone, I can show you plenty of ground that is equivalent to the densities of East Tenn. You may see 5-10 deer in a season. In fact, Hardeman Co has seen such a decline that their harvest numbers are equivalent to 40 years ago.
Good

Cwd needs stopping

Henry

3 antlerless deer a day all the regular season long IS crazy when compared to most other southern state limits that also have high population densities.

Rest assured that nothing is arbitrary, though, when you have a politically appointed commission making the rules. Insurance companies are happy, those with the $$ to manage large tracts are happy….so it's a win for everybody. Right?

Not hardly. Heavily hunted areas under the Unit L limit, especially those that have also had EHD, even in not so recent years, don't have nearly the deer densities you'd think for such a liberal "limit."
Along with that, insurance companies would be even more happy if the time change didn't happen. It causes more car/deer accidents and deaths than not changing the time.

Last edited:

TboneD

Along with that, insurance companies would be even more happy if the time changed didn't happen. It causes more car/deer accidents and deaths than not changing the time.
We will have to wait and see but a gentleman I met a couple weeks ago told me they're doing away with the time change next year.

TboneD

Raise your hand if you know someone that has truly affected the deer population by shooting multiple deer/day, multiple days in the season.....
Know personally? No, but what does that prove?

I remember a gun season opener here in Wilson county several years ago, about like this year with most of the acorns gone by gun season. I remember exactly where I was hunting that morning but what I remember most is that from a couple of directions it sounded like some folks were trying to kill 'em all. Never had I heard nearly so many shots on an opening morning and never have I heard nearly so many shots on one ever since.

You might not take a thing from my observation but if you go back to the threads beating this topic to death you'll also find accounts where deer were reported to be thinned in particular areas because of over harvest since the formation of Unit L. It's not like folks are just imagining that limits matter.

TboneD

The problem is not that guys kill multiple per day, but that the "limit" says there is an unlimited resource available. This mentality tells everyone and their brother (and nephew and friend and uncle etc) to come shoot a deer. Ultimately TWRA is allowing does to be killed by everyone with a gun, and landowners are allowing it. Not good for the resource IMO.

Exactly. I just met a hunter my last hunt in the woods who told me in so many words that we must have too many deer since we're in Unit L.

Last edited:

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Exactly. I just met a hunter my last time in the woods who thinks we must have too many deer since we're in Unit L.
I have never hunted public, but I talk with a lot of people, both hunters and non hunters, landowners and renters. The universal attitude with the vast 95+% of people is that 2+ months of gun season and 3 does a day means kill every deer you can. Virtually no one kills 3 a day, but they will kill/allow to kill all they can in two months. They "don't even come close to the limit" is their thinking, they have no idea what population management of a local herd is, just that "the state" says kill 'em all.

TboneD

I have never hunted public, but I talk with a lot of people, both hunters and non hunters, landowners and renters. The universal attitude with the vast 95+% of people is that 2+ months of gun season and 3 does a day means kill every deer you can. Virtually no one kills 3 a day, but they will kill/allow to kill all they can in two months. They "don't even come close to the limit" is their thinking, they have no idea what population management of a local herd is, just that "the state" says kill 'em all.

And should we really be surprised? It's not rocket science, right?

Carlos

The states have voted on this issue and it has passed to end the time change . The issue is with congress dragging its feet and not approving it on a federal level
So I wonder if the plan is to leave the time in the 'hour ahead' or in the 'hour behind' mode?

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Along with that, insurance companies would be even more happy if the time change didn't happen. It causes more car/deer accidents and deaths than not changing the time.

Heck, I'd enjoy not having to wake up as early—hunting rifle season in Georgia before the time change about spoils you.

Henry

Spring forward and stay there is the proposal I saw.
That would give us the extra hour of daylight in the fall in the evening on the way home from work instead of in the morning...seems to make the most sense for less deer accidents. Economically, more people stop and spend money after work than during their rush to work in the am.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
That would give us the extra hour of daylight in the fall in the evening on the way home from work instead of in the morning...seems to make the most sense for less deer accidents. Economically, more people stop and spend money after work than during their rush to work in the am.
Yep, and it wouldn't be dark before I get home from work.

Speedwell-Hunter

Laughable
Not laughable, but to each his own

you also probably don't think that the coronavirus was not manufactured in a lab

You also probably do not believe that the US government purposely infected African-Americans in the 1950s with syphilis

Welcome to the real world buddy

Coyotes were introduced by car insurance companies