Is hunters orange required in a natural area that is archery only?

JN

I have located a natural area that had a sign that stated archery only. If you are hunting the area during state wide muzzleloader or gun is hunter orange still required in this archery only area?

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
The orange requirement follows whatever hunting method you are using. Archery by rule doesn't require orange, regardless of which season you're pulling a bowstring. I would inquire of the area manager if the specific place has an additional rule in place.

But if there's no local rule, you shouldn't expect to wear orange while in the stand and archery hunting. Probably good practice to wear it in and out of the area though.
This is not correct, by my reading of the statutes. The way I understand it, orange is not required for archery only season, but if muzzle loader or rifle is open, it is required unless you are a landowner hunting on your own land.

I base this on page 24 of the hunting guide.

https://www.eregulations.com/assets/docs/guides/21TNHD.pdf

Fluorescent Orange: Hunters must wear on the
upper portion of their body and head a minimum
of 500 square inches of daylight fluorescent or-
ange (blaze orange), visible front and back while
hunting big game except on archery-only and
turkey hunts. A hat and vest fulfills requirements.
Blaze orange camo is legal if it contains 500 square
inches of fluorescent orange. In those areas where
the archery-only deer season dates overlap with
another big game gun season (i.e., bear) archers
are required to wear 500 square inches of daylight
fluorescent orange. Fluorescent orange is required
during the August Hunt in Unit CWD

PalsPal

Not applicable to public land, but why does the hunting guide leave out the part where it isn't required on the person's own property?

Also, the law should be updated to broach the subject of a shooting house or hunting blind.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Not applicable to public land, but why does the hunting guide leave out the part where it isn't required on the person's own property?
That is addressed on page 9

Landowners and their children hunting
on their parent's land under this exemption are
also exempt from Hunter Education Certification
requirements and blaze orange requirements.

JN

This is not correct, by my reading of the statutes. The way I understand it, orange is not required for archery only season, but if muzzle loader or rifle is open, it is required unless you are a landowner hunting on your own land.

I base this on page 24 of the hunting guide.

https://www.eregulations.com/assets/docs/guides/21TNHD.pdf

Fluorescent Orange: Hunters must wear on the
upper portion of their body and head a minimum
of 500 square inches of daylight fluorescent or-
ange (blaze orange), visible front and back while
hunting big game except on archery-only and
turkey hunts. A hat and vest fulfills requirements.
Blaze orange camo is legal if it contains 500 square
inches of fluorescent orange. In those areas where
the archery-only deer season dates overlap with
another big game gun season (i.e., bear) archers
are required to wear 500 square inches of daylight
fluorescent orange. Fluorescent orange is required
during the August Hunt in Unit CWD
I think I am still confused first half reads like it is not required since it is archery only. The 2nd half reads if it over laps with another gun big game season it is required and gives the example of bear. There is not bear hunting on this property. So would the hunter orange then not apply since there is no other big game with gun hunting allowed on the property?

PillsburyDoughboy

I hunted in Alabama one year with a buddy. This would have been mid 90's. Literally a buddy of mine was hunting Archery and I was hunting Muzzle loader. We unpacked from the same truck. He walked across the street on one side of the road and I walked on the other side where it was a archery only designated area.. I was required to wear Orange and he was not. Honestly since it was public land I would have worn orange no matter what but I was like this has got to be the craziest thing I have ever witnessed while hunting. Well maybe not the craziest but it was pretty weird. Common sense should dictate once Muzzle loader or gun season kicks in on public land everyone should be wearing Orange.

Headhunter

IMO, no one should ever have to wear orange. It is a sad world and has been for a long time, never, ever should someone shoot at ANYTHING that they think is the animal they are hunting when it is NOT! NEVER! Anyone who shoots at something that is not THE animal they are hunting for, should not only never be allowed to hunt again, they should not ever be allowed to own a gun after that.

Levee Jumper

I hunted in Alabama one year with a buddy. This would have been mid 90's. Literally a buddy of mine was hunting Archery and I was hunting Muzzle loader. We unpacked from the same truck. He walked across the street on one side of the road and I walked on the other side where it was a archery only designated area.. I was required to wear Orange and he was not. Honestly since it was public land I would have worn orange no matter what but I was like this has got to be the craziest thing I have ever witnessed while hunting. Well maybe not the craziest but it was pretty weird. Common sense should dictate once Muzzle loader or gun season kicks in on public land everyone should be wearing Orange.
Relieved to hear you went hunting once 20 years ago. I kinda thought you were a Bama homer using this forum to spread your ridiculousness. I will sleep better tonight.

swd

IMO, no one should ever have to wear orange. It is a sad world and has been for a long time, never, ever should someone shoot at ANYTHING that they think is the animal they are hunting when it is NOT! NEVER! Anyone who shoots at something that is not THE animal they are hunting for, should not only never be allowed to hunt again, they should not ever be allowed to own a gun after that.
I'm not quite as big on the part about infringing on their gun rights, but I agree with the rest.

Headhunter

I'm not quite as big on the part about infringing on their gun rights, but I agree with the rest.
It is not infringing upon their rights. They lose those rights when they shoot something, especially a person, when they shoot at whatever thinking it is the animal they are hunting. They don't have any rights after that mistake IMO.

swd

It is not infringing upon their rights. They lose those rights when they shoot something, especially a person, when they shoot at whatever thinking it is the animal they are hunting. They don't have any rights after that mistake IMO.
Then we can agree to disagree. I am not going to advocate on removing a right based on a knee jerk reaction to a hypothetical.

utvolsfan77

I think I am still confused first half reads like it is not required since it is archery only. The 2nd half reads if it over laps with another gun big game season it is required and gives the example of bear. There is not bear hunting on this property. So would the hunter orange then not apply since there is no other big game with gun hunting allowed on the property?
I think you may be reading into it. Yes, it is legal to use archery equipment during muzzleloader season and during rifle season. However, those seasons require blaze orange be worn at ALL times, even if you are hunting ONLY with archery equipment in an archery only area. The blaze orange requirement is dictated by the season you are hunting in, not by the weapon you choose to use during that season.

Last edited:

Latest posts