Which bullet?

Wobblyshot1

Not in this gun as it has a round ball barrel one turn in 66" twist and radius groove rifling. However, I've shot thousands of conicals(minie balls) in my 58 caliber Enfield muskets when I was a regular competitor in the NMLRA matches at Friendship and elsewhere. I shot hollow base minies that weighed over 500 grains. Both the guns I used the most had one in 48" twist and shallow rifling. During the great war (1861-65) the service charge for these guns was 60 to 70 grs black powder. In target shooting I only shot 45/50 grs even out to 200 yards. Rainbow trajectory had to be taken into account for. With all that said, I never hunted with them. Second pic is a bunch of minies l cast for the Enfield.

IMG_20181109_112303.jpg
IMG_20140614_174502_900.jpg

Last edited:

PillsburyDoughboy

I've hunted with the 92 model for years & husband the 93 , Get you a box of Hornady XTP 250 gr bullets 45 cal. Pistol bullet & some Santa's & 90 or 100 grs of Pyrodex pellets. They come in 30 & 50 grains don't worry about plastic fouling. In between cleaning use borebutter
Hornady XTP 45 Cal with the MMP Black Sabots have been Lights out in every Knight I ever owned. 100 Grain of Pyrodex, Black Powder or any of the subs worked just fine. Accuracy was off the scales and deer were all bang flops. Most all of the other MZ I have owned I graduated to the Orange MMP and 300 GR pills but the Knights still use the MMP Black with Hornady XTP 250. It just works.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Hornady XTP 45 Cal with the MMP Black Sabots have been Lights out in every Knight I ever owned. 100 Grain of Pyrodex, Black Powder or any of the subs worked just fine. Accuracy was off the scales and deer were all bang flops. Most all of the other MZ I have owned I graduated to the Orange MMP and 300 GR pills but the Knights still use the MMP Black with Hornady XTP 250. It just works.
Which of these two or does it matter?

ScLowCountry

Gravey

Don't overthink that. I use either 240 grain xtp mags or 240 grain interlocks in our accuras and tc black diamond. Very accurate and effective.
240 grain XTP's for me in my encore. Both accurate and deadly. It's the only thing I've ever used back to my first muzzleloader which was a Knight T-5 Woodsman in the early 90's.

PillsburyDoughboy

Which of these two or does it matter?

211-50045 The MMP Black Shorts are the only ones I have ever used in my Knights with the .452 250 Grain pills. And they shoot lights out in every Knight I have ever shot. I played around with some other pills and while accuracy might have gotten a little better with this load or that load I needed a load that worked across every Knight I owned so I settled in on this combination. It just works.

PillsburyDoughboy

I had to dig deep in the archives to find this quote from Tony Knight himself. He preferred Sabots over bore size bullets. I tend to agree with him on this subject. I have had the same great success with the inline market. I think the only way I would tend to stray away from sabots if I were going after something that could eat me or something the size of a ELK. But there are Saboted Bullets in the 300 Grain and 400 Grain Class that are up the task. Especially if you step up to .54 Cal.

RW: Do you prefer sabots or bore sized projectiles?

TK: Saboted bullets, without question. You can get better accuracy, better trajectory, and better downrange terminal performance with sabots than possible with bore-sized slugs. One thing I don't like, though, is the worship of "easy-load" type sabots. It is part of the sport, if you want tight groups your sabot needs to load reasonably tight. We can't expect loose-fitting bullets that rattle down the bore to give repeatable performance. Quite often, they don't.

gemihur

Don't overthink this
Shoot a bullet that you can hit your target consistently with.
Full bore or saboted, the deer ain't gonna discuss semantics.
I would like my bullet to show a perfect mushroom but I would rather have mushrooms and onions on my venison steaks.
The dang powerbelts ain't gracious about their impact, BUT THEY LEAVE NO SURVIVORS!
Shoot what suits you and your gun and you'll do fine.

Last edited:

PillsburyDoughboy

Don't overthink this
Shoot a bullet that you can hit your target consistently with.
Full bore or saboted, the deer ain't gonna discuss semantics.
I would like my bullet to show a perfect mushroom but I would rather have mushrooms and onions on my venison steaks.
The dang powerbelts ain't gracious about their impact, BUT THEY LEAVE NO SURVIVORS!
Shoot what suits you and your gun and you'll do fine.
I have some concerns about all the reports of powebelts leaving fragments on the opposite shoulder and no blood trails.

Mind you these are reports from successful harvest. So who am I to
Say WTH ?

But then again I have read reports of loss game from bad powerboat shots.

I have to say I have never lost a deer to a properly.placed saboted Muzzle loader Bullet.

Only marginal sabot came from a .54 cal set up and that was because I did not have the bullet and charge combo set correct. Once I switched out the bullet and weight of charge I was good to go.

Soft Talker

Any of y'all shooting these old Huntsman's notice a difference in accuracy between the screw in breech plug and the older push in plug, with o-ring.

Wobblyshot1

I would think if the o-ring was damaged or maybe brittle from age that it would definitely effect accuracy because of blow by. H&R changed to a screw in plug when back in the day a fellow dropped the hammer on a loaded one(o-ring)and only got a pop from the cap. He immediately broke open the gun and a slow hang fire happened blowing the breech plug back at the shooter... don't remember if it killed him or if he was just severely injured.

Latest posts