Food Plots Where to buy some fruit trees...

Omega

Not to get off topic.....but I've never used the water bags and am curious.....how much water do they hold? Guessing this could be a good option for trees planted on remote property that you can't go too multiple times per week?

I've also heard about people setting a 5 gallon bucket at base of sapling with tiny holes drilled in bottom for a slow soak watering....never tried it but am curious about different methods people use to water trees in remote locations.
Never tried it either, but I noticed them being used on post, and along the roadways. They hold about 20-40 gals, depending on the size you buy. I water mine in real well when I plant them, but don't return often enough to keep them alive I think. Maybe the bags will help out with that.

Nimrod777

Good question, as I'm currently shopping best options for fruit trees, for US, not the deer!

Stark, Tyty have looked like good options. Lowes and other big box stores can be just fine, and actually Honeycrisp, Fuji, and some of the other big market fruits do just fine in our climate. Here's a tip, though: if you buy from one of the big box stores, pull the tree out of the pot-- yeah, right there, do it-- and make sure the roots are white and look alive. If the plant has been in the possession of a store that doesn't specialize in plant care, there's no telling what it has been through before you found it.

As for digging a hole to plant in, and filling it with high grade soil, DO NOT. You'll end up with a plant that sends its roots around and around in that hole, but won't send roots out into the native soil. Plant a tree like that, and when it dies in a year or two, pull it out, and you'll see that the roots haven't gone anywhere at all. You're better to shake off the potting soil and put it into native soil.

Here's a list of cultivars recommended by the UT Extension office:

Nimrod777

Here's what I could find (VarageSale) on what I suspect is the dude in Joelton some of you have mentioned:
$16.50

Fruit Trees/Blueberry Plants/ Located in Joelton,Tn.37080

--------------------Quality Tennessee Grown-------------------------
Apple: Gala, Winesap, Red & Yellow Delicious, Pink Lady, Arkansas Black, HoneyCrisp. , Granny Smith , Fuji Apple Tree All Apple trees $16.50...
Pear: Bartlett, Orient , and Kieffer, Moonglow All pear $16.50...
#3gal Blueberry Plants=4 types of Rabbiteye-Tifblue,Climax,Premier and Brightwell all are $12.50 per bush.Most are around 4 foot tall.
Note: Same size at box store=$19.97-$29.97(Available through the end of March)
-----------------------------Pictures were taken before plants went dormant------------------------------------
...(((Sorry no out of state checks)(Must pick-up Trees and Plants at location)Call--- six one five-nine four four-o405....

Nimrod777

Sorry, one other apple note: If you don't have a good pollinator within about 50' of your trees, they won't produce much at all. Yellow Delicious is a great general pollinator, but you can do even better with the right variety of crabapple, oddly enough.

Omega

Here's what I could find (VarageSale) on what I suspect is the dude in Joelton some of you have mentioned:
$16.50

Fruit Trees/Blueberry Plants/ Located in Joelton,Tn.37080

--------------------Quality Tennessee Grown-------------------------
Apple: Gala, Winesap, Red & Yellow Delicious, Pink Lady, Arkansas Black, HoneyCrisp. , Granny Smith , Fuji Apple Tree All Apple trees $16.50...
Pear: Bartlett, Orient , and Kieffer, Moonglow All pear $16.50...
#3gal Blueberry Plants=4 types of Rabbiteye-Tifblue,Climax,Premier and Brightwell all are $12.50 per bush.Most are around 4 foot tall.
Note: Same size at box store=$19.97-$29.97(Available through the end of March)
-----------------------------Pictures were taken before plants went dormant------------------------------------
...(((Sorry no out of state checks)(Must pick-up Trees and Plants at location)Call--- six one five-nine four four-o405....
Yea, that is the guy. Great prices for the size and age of the trees he sells.

Nimrod777

Oh. And if you can, try to plant in the late fall. Works better for me.
I've had good success with late fall plantings as well. I was surprised to see that the UT Extension folks recommend fruit trees going into the ground from mid-Feb to mid-March. I'll give it a try this year with some apple trees, and hopefully will have good news to report back.

Monk74

I bought 4 trees for $28 at Lebanon flea market last October. A lot of smithville nurseries go there. A gala, two granny smith's and a golden delicious. They all mature in October or early November. Perfect for deer.

JCDEERMAN

I bought 4 trees for $28 at Lebanon flea market last October. A lot of smithville nurseries go there. A gala, two granny smith's and a golden delicious. They all mature in October or early November. Perfect for deer.
How big were they? Do you remember which nursery out of Smithville?

Hunter 257W

I bought all my trees from The Wildlife Group in Alabama in Tuskegee, Alabama.

I planted one of their Fruit Tree packages and a bunch of various Oaks back in December 2010 and have had real good results from them. Be sure to use tree tubes regardless of where you buy your trees. They promote fast growth and keep bucks from rubbing them. The people at The Wildlife Group will take time to talk to you on the phone to give good growing tips. Also some good stuff on their website to get better results. The trees all started producing about when they said they would BUT you should be realistic about your expectations. When they say an Oak produces acorns in 7 years it don't mean bushels of acorns.

One point they make now that has changed since i bought my trees is that they recommend a flexible stake to hold your tree tube when you plant. Reason being that a rigid stake takes all the side load from wind and doesn't force the tree to develop strong roots. I changed out most of my stakes with their flexible fiberglass stakes when the trees were still fairly young and these stakes would easily bend with the wind forcing the tree to resist part of the wind side load. Also the wood stakes rot real fast while the fiberglass can be used again once the 1st tree no longer needs them.

Oh yeah, I bought all bare root trees and they are now 12 - 15 - 20 feet tall now 10 years later. The fruit trees started producing fruit about 5 or 6 years ago.

Last edited:

Hunter 257W

On the subject of watering remotely located trees here is what I did after losing 600 pine trees planted a few years earlier that i bought from another source. The Wildlife Group sells some stuff called "Moister Mizer" that addresses the watering issue. It consists of pellets that look almost like ice cream salt and they absorb and hold a tremendous amount of water. You put it in the soil at planting, soak it with water and then it slowly releases water to the roots. Here are the instructions from the website word for word:

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************
Reduce watering by at least 50% and increase your survival by adding just one tablespoon per bareroot seedling. Moisture Mizer is a super absorbent soil conditioner that stores water and slowly reduces it for plant use. These tiny granules can hold up to 300 times their weight in water. Moisture Mizer can also be used to dip bareroot seedlings in the field while planting for added moisture when watering is not possible. Simply mix ¼ of a pound (4 oz) to 5 gallons of water and let stand for about 30 minutes to absorb – dip the roots and plant.
*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

I used this on about 75 trees when i planted the December 2010 batch of trees and didn't hardly lose any. I did what they mentioned in the last sentence above with adding the pellets to a 5 gallon bucket of water PLUS a few tablespoons of dry pellets in the hole. I then put about a gallon of water in the hole to make sure the dry pellets were saturated. It was also snowing and very wet when I planted. This eliminated watering problems completely for all practical purposes.

Omega

When is the best time to plant fruit trees? What about nut trees?
The guy in Joelton recommended I plant while the tree is still dormant, so the roots grow in, instead of using that energy for leaves and new growth. But I have also planted a couple in the spring, and they still live. But they are at the house so I can water often.

Hunter 257W

What Omega said. :) You want dormant plants and relatively wet conditions while they are starting to grow. Any time from late Fall through the end of Winter is best.

Latest posts