Food Plots Where to buy some fruit trees...

BlountArrow

I'm looking to buy a few dozen apple/pear trees and looking for good varieties for our area, none of this crap they sell at Lowes/Home Depot, etc. What nurseries have you all bought from that have the right varieties for our area and for wildlife?? I'm not looking to grow this for my own consumption necessarily.

I live in East TN, but could travel as necessary for the right varieties.

backyardtndeer

none of this crap they sell at Lowes/Home Depot, etc
Agree, lowes you never know what you are getting.

I have had fairly good results with bare root trees from tyty nursery out of GA. They run some great sales. Thing is when they ship them, you need to be ready to plant them right away. I have planted probably 25-30 trees from them, from pecan to fruit trees.

I planted pears and apples from them specifically for deer where we mostly hunt, lost a couple of the apples later, but that was not the fault of the nursery. One, the weeds choked out the tree inside my cage, and another not sure what happened to it, died about 3 years after I planted it. I did also lose one peach tree from them that I planted in my yard. Their guarantee, they were supposed to send me a replacement, I never got it.

Omega

I get mine from a guy out in Joelton, he first advertised in craigslist, and now on FB. His trees are grown here in TN, and prices are well worth the visit. Haven't been there in a couple years, but most trees were in the $20-30 range, for 4'-5' range trees.

hillbillyfab

I know you said no Lowe's, but I've found several plants and trees for sale from farms and greenhouses located in TN and surrounding states. They also have a 1 year warranty on plants and trees if you save your receipt.

BlountArrow

I know you said no Lowe's, but I've found several plants and trees for sale from farms and greenhouses located in TN and surrounding states. They also have a 1 year warranty on plants and trees if you save your receipt.
The issue is that you rarely find apple varieties that are hearty and good for our area. A lot of big box stores sell varieties like Fujis, Honey Crisps, Pink Lady, & McIntosh (for example) because that's what you see in the grocery store. But those are really not good varieties for around here. Mainly, I want to buy varieties that are more rust resistant like Liberty (for example) - I've never seen Liberty apples in a grocery store. I don't plan on spraying pesticides on them. I want to plant them, protect them from these dang bears, and prune them. That's all.
p.s. Google will tell you McIntosh are rust resistant and I firmly disagree haha.

pockets

I get mine from a guy out in Joelton, he first advertised in craigslist, and now on FB. His trees are grown here in TN, and prices are well worth the visit. Haven't been there in a couple years, but most trees were in the $20-30 range, for 4'-5' range trees.
Buddy of mine just built a new house and went to this guy back in November. Said he was a good dude and bought all the trees he was looking for cheap.

Omega

The issue is that you rarely find apple varieties that are hearty and good for our area. A lot of big box stores sell varieties like Fujis, Honey Crisps, Pink Lady, & McIntosh (for example) because that's what you see in the grocery store. But those are really not good varieties for around here. Mainly, I want to buy varieties that are more rust resistant like Liberty (for example) - I've never seen Liberty apples in a grocery store. I don't plan on spraying pesticides on them. I want to plant them, protect them from these dang bears, and prune them. That's all.
p.s. Google will tell you McIntosh are rust resistant and I firmly disagree haha.
That is why I like the Joelton guy, all the apples he sells grow well here. On my land not so much, but here at the house I have four growing well, about 8-10 foot now.

Buddy of mine just built a new house and went to this guy back in November. Said he was a good dude and bought all the trees he was looking for cheap.
Yea, I have bought many from this guy, and probably get more. I have an issue keeping them alive in my hunting area, but it is probably because I plant and let them fend for themselves with only a wire cage. I might have to try and dig out a large area and fill with good garden soil to give them a better chance, and I have already bought some watering bags.

DoubleRidge

That is why I like the Joelton guy, all the apples he sells grow well here. On my land not so much, but here at the house I have four growing well, about 8-10 foot now.

Yea, I have bought many from this guy, and probably get more. I have an issue keeping them alive in my hunting area, but it is probably because I plant and let them fend for themselves with only a wire cage. I might have to try and dig out a large area and fill with good garden soil to give them a better chance, and I have already bought some watering bags.

Not to get off topic.....but I've never used the water bags and am curious.....how much water do they hold? Guessing this could be a good option for trees planted on remote property that you can't go too multiple times per week?

I've also heard about people setting a 5 gallon bucket at base of sapling with tiny holes drilled in bottom for a slow soak watering....never tried it but am curious about different methods people use to water trees in remote locations.

JCDEERMAN

We've always had better luck on the trees we drilled bigger holes on. Not just the one hole from the auger, but 3 holes in close proximity and dig them all out into one hole. We also use liquid root stimulator. Seems to help. Most of our trees came from Bates nursery in the Joelton area.

hittingsteal

I'm looking to buy a few dozen apple/pear trees and looking for good varieties for our area, none of this crap they sell at Lowes/Home Depot, etc. What nurseries have you all bought from that have the right varieties for our area and for wildlife?? I'm not looking to grow this for my own consumption necessarily.

Where do you think lowes and home depot get that crap as u call it ?

Killer-T

I've used Stark's Nursery for years and great on replacement too. I have had a tree on order for over a year but they are finally shipping it out. Other than that, great company with quality trees, berries, fruit trees, and customer service.

Latest posts