Food Plots Apple trees from seed

JJBraves

I know that when you grow them from seed, there's a small chance they actually grow up to have the same characteristics as the parent the seed came from, but has anybody had any luck growing trees from store bought apples? If so, what are your thoughts?

DoubleRidge

I'm told and have read that you will have much better success propagating an apple tree from a branch cutting verses trying to start one from seed...plus using a cutting, if successful, you will be a year ahead...I'm no expert....but there is allot of information online about the process...I'm interested in trying to propagate fruit trees and chestnut trees if possible...but again, I've only been reading about the process...havent tried it yet.

Biggun4214

Problem with seeds would be you could have a golden delicious tree and the flowers be pollinated with a winesap for example. You never know what type of fruit it would produce.
Also crabapple root stock is often used as the base.

mike243

There were 2 apple tree's on my grand parents place I would love to have, 1 was a large red cooking apple and the other was a soft yellow apple that turned almost white when ripe, the old log home is where my great grandpa lived and regret not having anybody that remembers small details.

Latest posts