Food Plots when to plant bob oats

348Winchester

Remember, oats/wheat/rye are most palatable during their first 90 days of growth. Therefore, it's best to plant them in early fall. They are hardy plants and can withstand frosts within the first 30-45 days of growth. A hard freeze will retard or even kill them if they are less than 20 days old.

Here on the northern Cumberland Plateau, we usually do not get a hard freeze until November. That's why I try to plant after September 15th through October 10th. That way the plants will have time to grow some before it freezes regularly.

tellico4x4

wompuscat said:
I usually do mine Labor Day or close there after.

I read somewhere quite a few years ago that more food plot seed was wasted on Labor Day weekend than any other time of the year...

Sometimes we are planted a couple of weeks before Labor Day and have planted 6 weeks after it too, just depends on weather.

bbuck14

Here in West Tn I plant mine last week of Sept. but have planted them in Oct also and they did fine. I fertilize mine and if i plant any earlier then it gets too tall by gun season. If Oats get too tall and get where they're over 6" or so the deer don't eat them as well for me. Ideally for me I like mine 3-6" come gun season. Also if they get too tall and the oats start to fork and a frost hits them it turns them yellow and the deer won't feed on them at all. I guess if your bow hunting over them you could plant them earlier and try. I just always planted mine for a more late season food source.

Latest posts