Food Plots When and how do y'all plant winter wheat?

DMAG

I want to try some this year. Can y'all give me some pointers? you think I can be successful with it without a drill? Thanks for your help

BlountArrow

Oh yeah, I've never drilled it. It grows great, grows easy, and grows fast. I think now is a good time to plant. I planted mine a week ago Friday. I would have liked to have waited another week or two but "life" just wasn't going to allow that.

BONE-HEAD

It grows pretty easy just clear ground loosen soil it doesn't take a lot and spread your seed I planted mine last week its done up about 3 inches

CAW

Wheat will just about grow on concrete! :)

Pointers? Bush hog, spray gly, disc and broadcast. Cultipack or drag and wait for rain. If you get any kind of seed to soil contact, it is going to grow.

DMAG

I was gonna put in a plot thats about 2 acres in size. Do you all fertilize at the same time? Also how much seed do you all broadcast per acre.

CAW

You can fertilize when you disc or you can wait for it to come up a bit. I would plant 50 lbs to the acre, a little more if you have a lot of turkeys.

longnosedoe

If wheat is the only thing you are going to plant I would probably put 2-3 bushels per acre. I lean more toward 3 bushels per acre when I plant wheat for harvest.

darn2ten

I do mine a little thicker. About 60 lbs. acre if it's in a mix and about 80 to 90 lbs. acre if it's a stand alone plot. If your going to just pretty much throw and grow, I would definitely seed on the heavy side. You said 2 acres, if wheat only I'd get 200 lbs. and get er done. Last I checked wheat was $13 a. 50 lb. bag still the co op. So for just a shade over $50 your good. However, I would probably get me about 15 lbs. of crimson clover and mix it in there.

DMAG

I havent limed this area yet and I have never grown crimson clover. Is that a good mix to help the herd through the winter. I like the idea of the wheat or wheat mix because the heat has been so hard on the early stuff. It feels weird planting this late. I really appreciate your guys help. I have never had anybody show me anything as far as planting goes. I bought a massey 135 this past year for our farm and have access to a tiller and a disk.

BSK

Dang, you all plant light! When I'm broadcasting wheat onto unturned ground (plot has been mowed and sprayed with glysophate, but not disked), I broadcast seed at 150 lbs per acre, IF it is the only plant in the plot. If it is to be mixed with clover, or is being broadcast into an established clover plot, I will drop down to 100 lbs per acre.

darn2ten

DMAG, as BSK said, if your going to be just broadcasting on unbroken ground you do need to seed at a higher rate. I'm use to planting on plowed, prepared ground. Time wise I think your fine right now, but I would definitely make it a priority to get it done shortly. Watch the best rain chances and try to get it out right before it. Lots of people put out different things, me included. However just a wheat and clover mix would serve you well and be a great food plot. With a tractor, as the years go by I'm sure you'll figure it all out. Wheat is my number one ingredient in my fall mixes. Only other two things besides a mix of white and red clover I use is oats and winter peas. After trying many different thing over the years, this is what I have settled on with excellent results. Again, don't over think it and just get out there and get started. Also lime doesn't have instant effects, especially pelletized lime. It takes quite a while to get into the soil and have the desired effects.

BSK

That's some great advice darn2ten. If you can turn the ground, winter peas can be a great addition; they are a real candy plant. But if someone doesn't want to go that route, a clover and wheat mixture is easy to plant, will grow in just about any soil, and serve as a hard-to-beat attractant.

hitek7

tellico4x4 said:
BSK said:
If you can turn the ground, winter peas can be a great addition; they are a real candy plant.

We gave up on winter peas a few years ago. Our deer would not let them get above a inch tall before eating them down to dirt...

But if planted at the right time, they can create an early bow season killing plot!

darn2ten

tellico4x4 said:
BSK said:
If you can turn the ground, winter peas can be a great addition; they are a real candy plant.

We gave up on winter peas a few years ago. Our deer would not let them get above a inch tall before eating them down to dirt...
I totally agree. If your not planting bigger plots then they get gone in a hurry. I have increased my plot sizes and the amount of acreage from when I first started putting them out. Don't have as much of a problem keeping them around a little longer now. They are still the preferred plant in the mix though.

ZachMarkus

CAW said:

Yes it will. We planted our food plots a couple of weeks ago, and I spilled some wheat in the bed of my truck on top of some mulch that has been there for awhile, now I have a patch of wheat about 6in tall growing in the bed of my truck :D

BSK

ZachMarkus said:
CAW said:

Yes it will. We planted our food plots a couple of weeks ago, and I spilled some wheat in the bed of my truck on top of some mulch that has been there for awhile, now I have a patch of wheat about 6in tall growing in the bed of my truck :D

I have such a mobile food plot in my truck EVERY year! ;)

Boone 58

The easiest of anything to grow and the deer pound it. You can disk and get the weeds killed good and plant and drag in with great results, I have done it over seeding into strong stands of clover without disking.
From this

to this

to this

and ultimately this.....

Latest posts