whatb do i need to start bow fishing.

goose17

I have a bow already.Do they make cheap bows for bowfishing?What gear do i need and how much am i looking at spending.

stik

about $100 for initial investment(reel and arrows) minus the bow. you don't want to shoot a lot of poundage bowfishing. 50-55 lbs is plenty. most people use old bows. i use an early 80's model bear. pawnshops are great places to find a fishing bow.

eddie c

I use my hunting bow(s) but since my bows are trad type bows I dont have the issue with sights and such.

yes, they make bows just for bowfishing but I'm with stik, go to a pawn shop and buy cheap. spend the money on the setup(reels, acc.)
hardest part will be determining what setup you want. it will help if you can find someone close that bowfishes and have a conversation. I like spinner setups, others like AMS setups. it is almost like a Chevy/Ford debate.

spitndrum

stik said:
about $100 for initial investment(reel and arrows) minus the bow. you don't want to shoot a lot of poundage bowfishing. 50-55 lbs is plenty. most people use old bows. i use an early 80's model bear. pawnshops are great places to find a fishing bow.

X2

rukiddin

If you like to constantly fix stuff and buy replacements, then go with a spinner, if you like to complain a little about stuff then get a retriever. I for one like to complain a little so I shoot with retrievers. I have 5 retriever reels now, and only one has ever quit on me, but it was 12 years old and litterally fell apart in my hands. Replace the line every couple of years and their fine.
The pawn shop (as mentioned) is a good place to buy a bow, so are yard sales. I switched this year to bowfishing specific bow (browning barracuda) and love it, its cranked as heavy as it will go at 40lbs.
One more thing, don't buy your stuff from the big name stores, ie...GM, BPS. THere are bowfishing stores out there that will be are a lot cheaper and have better selections. So much cheaper in fact, that you will still save money even after paying the shipping.

Latest posts