What the Law Regarding Deer Feeders?

TNDeerHunter270

Hey guys,
Could anyone fill me in on the TN law about deer feeders in and around hunting grounds? I am unclear on whether or not I can keep my feeders out but just make sure they are totally empty of corn. Do I need to take them down and put them in the barn? They are large gravity feeders so I would much rather leave them where they are. I have heard various versions of the law, so I thought I should clear it up before this season.

Thanks

scn

74MOPAR":3db5yk6h said:
You can leave them out as long as they are empty 10 days before you hunt there. I asked the same question in the Twra forum and this is what SCN responded

Correct. They have to be totally empty and ALL of the grain from the site has to be gone at least 10 days prior to hunting.

If they are an electronic feeder, the electronic part must be disabled.

A feeding station makes all hunting illegal for approximately 41 acres around the baited site.

TNDeerHunter270

Ok thanks for clearing that up for me guys.

One question, does bird seed in an electronic feeder count as illegal baiting? Should I remove this from my property as well?

farmin68

scn":23trjgov said:
A feeding station makes all hunting illegal for approximately 41 acres around the baited site.

When this 41 acre perimeter crosses property lines, are the hunters on the part of the adjoining property that falls inside this 41 acre footprint responsible for knowing their neighbor is feeding deer?

scn

farmin68":3p7fhj03 said:
scn":3p7fhj03 said:

When this 41 acre perimeter crosses property lines, are the hunters on the part of the adjoining property that falls inside this 41 acre footprint responsible for knowing their neighbor is feeding deer?

You aren't responsible for knowing it if it requires trespass to have that knowledge. If it is within open view it is another story. It is a question for your local officer on how they are going to handle it.

scn

TNDeerHunter270":3vcm8gnr said:
Ok thanks for clearing that up for me guys.

One question, does bird seed in an electronic feeder count as illegal baiting? Should I remove this from my property as well?

That would be a question best asked to your local officer. There are 2-3 species out there that are pretty vulnerable to bird seed.

SKFOOTER

Thanks Andy. Kentucky allows baiting for deer. Mississippi allows it with a 100 yard no hunting radius. And a lot of us here in Tennessee see baiting as being no different than hunting over a food plot. But the reg is the reg.

farmin68

scn":ddajizpv said:
farmin68":ddajizpv said:
scn":ddajizpv said:

You aren't responsible for knowing it if it requires trespass to have that knowledge. If it is within open view it is another story. It is a question for your local officer on how they are going to handle it.

That is one of the key problems with this regulation. I have no data to back this up, bit I'm confident some hunters are being charged with baiting when they are completely innocent.

For the record, I have no desire to bait deer and likely wouldn't use it if it were legal in TN.

flyinpro

I'm counting on the feeder being empty. Due to work changes I have not been able to get to my lease to remove one feeder a week ago. Feeder should be empty, but I guess I better walk in and look before I climb the stand with a bow.

Just wanted pics and maybe kill a hog on the property that has been doing some damage.

Thanks for the info. So many other states allow bait, can't understand why TN dosen't.

Good hunting all

scn

flyinpro":o6cgb40l said:
I'm counting on the feeder being empty. Due to work changes I have not been able to get to my lease to remove one feeder a week ago. Feeder should be empty, but I guess I better walk in and look before I climb the stand with a bow.

Just wanted pics and maybe kill a hog on the property that has been doing some damage.

Thanks for the info. So many other states allow bait, can't understand why TN dosen't.

Good hunting all

Checking it opening morning is still a risk. If it had bait in it today and was checked by an officer, the site doesn't become legal to hunt until 10 days after ALL of the bait is gone. Even though it may not have bait on Saturday, that doesn't mean it is legal to hunt on that site.

On the hog part, I'm assuming you are one of ten persons on the eradication permit for that property?

UTGrad

Question

If you feed deer, does the bait have to be up 10 days before season or 10 days before you hunt? For example what if someone is just a rifle hunter. Do they have to get their bait out 10 days before archery season starts or 10 days before rifle season?

scn

UTGrad":347nnics said:
Question

If you feed deer, does the bait have to be up 10 days before season or 10 days before you hunt? For example what if someone is just a rifle hunter. Do they have to get their bait out 10 days before archery season starts or 10 days before rifle season?

It has to be gone 10 days before you hunt that site.

jetwrnch

Very informative thread. With so much of the state becoming unit L, seems like legalizing baiting would resolve the confusion. No more questions about food plot vs bait and property line issues. I guess I would need to know why it was illegal in the first place, especially since it helps to feed the wildlife during tough times.

TheLBLman

jetwrnch":23tj2j8g said:
. . . . . especially since it helps to feed the wildlife during tough times.
Could be argued that feeding causes a greater increase in mortality than in survival.
The short story is feeding stations increase predation (especially on button bucks) and disease transmission.

f1maxis

TheLBLman":2hojv4hw said:
jetwrnch":2hojv4hw said:
Could be argued that feeding causes a greater increase in mortality than in survival.
The short story is feeding stations increase predation (especially on button bucks) and disease transmission.

Is this being seen in other neighboring states that allow baiting? Seems like they have generally healthy herds.

IMO, the issue with baiting is the "grey area" that allows for officer interpretation. Either it's legal all the time or it's illegal all the time...seems like that would solve a lot of problems.

Poleaxe

TheLBLman":358vdk2x said:
jetwrnch":358vdk2x said:

Don't believe that for a second. If that was a concern all 50 states would outlaw it. I believe "Greed" is what keeps it from being legal in Tennessee. I myself could care less. I personally think they'll leave everything when the acorns fall but it's pretty obvious why. Sad such a profitable part of this industry could be utilized in a way to keep license prices from increasing. Such as selling permits in order to bait.